Being Female Is a Beautiful Thing | Teen Ink

Being Female Is a Beautiful Thing

January 19, 2017
By ISeeStars PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
ISeeStars PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
30 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I survived because the fire within me burned brighter than the fire around me."


I am not a "feminist" per say. I am more suited toward the equality of both genders. Nonetheless, it is hard to turn a blind eye to the arrogance in this world. When a club wishes to have a feminine product drive for female students whom my not be able to get products when needed, shouldn’t there be an automatic yes from administration? No. There was no yes because, “men would be uncomfortable.” Men would be uncomfortable because a select few female teachers would have a sticker on their doors to indicate that female students can go to them for a free feminine hygiene product or that the nurse would have free products to give to students instead of making them pay for products that are not close to good quality. What about women? It is extremely uncomfortable to sit with blood running down your thighs and soaking through your pants. It’s embarrassing. Yet according to a male teacher, it is up to women to, “take care of that and know when it will happen,” and, “know when to bring things and have extra on hand.” A period is in no way predictable. One can believe that in exactly 28 days a female will have it, but that hardly ever happens. It’s like having a car without a gas gauge. After a while, one would be a little worried about If they are going to run out of gas or not and may do things differently to avoid being stuck in the middle of nowhere but one could never correctly gauge to perfection when it will happen. Also, some students come from homes where they can barely pay the bills. They rarely have food on the table. They somehow live paycheck to paycheck. You can’t know what everyone’s home life is. I may not be a feminist, but it’s hard not to be when you’re surrounded by adults who are telling students this is how it should be.