Effects of a Sensored, Non-Offensive World | Teen Ink

Effects of a Sensored, Non-Offensive World

March 24, 2016
By octoberopal PLATINUM, San Jose, California
octoberopal PLATINUM, San Jose, California
34 articles 0 photos 3 comments

In the 21st century, we humans have apparently decided that offending someone is the worst thing you can ever do. Ever. It's deserving of capital punishment and public shunning.

 

Don't agree with me? How many celebrities have been mocked for sharing their opinion because it may have offended someone? How many people have used free speech (a completely legal and protected act under our Constitution, by the way) and been jailed? All because someone's "feelings were hurt." What is America, a bunch of crybabies?

Of course not. America is made up of proud freedom fighters who fought our way to protect liberty and pursue justice. Why are we acting like this, then? It's honestly a mystery.

The more important question is: how does this non-offensive culture affect us?

First of all, it dilutes strong opinions. Everyone must be neutral in this kind of lifestyle. Nobody can be definitive, so strong opinions are diluted and replaced by flat, free-flowing ones that go with whatever.

Second, it creates unnecessary apologies. Everybody has to be ashamed of speaking their mind because it JUST MIGHT make someone feel uncomfortable. Or hurt. Or, to use the magic word of the century, "offended." Nobody can feel confident in anything they say, they must simply apologize again and again for it.

Third, and most importantly, it puts to death every artistic product of a flourishing culture. Art is all about breaking the boundaries, being unique, different, poignant, and sharing your opinion. In this kind of culture, someone might be offended by your style of art. They might find offensive your portrayal or your subject. So what is there left to do? Make art bland and flavorless, aka unoffensive. Rainbows and puppies and unicorns (of all different breeds, naturally, so the terriers don't get offended) all around.

 

Where will our culture stop? At what point will we label things unoffensive? If we keep on this road, there is no stopping the American people and soon our society will be reduced to a bunch of bland, non-opinionated people.

A people with no new ideas, no creativity, no viewpoints, just whatever they've been fed as "unoffensive."

A people tripping over their own feet as they attempt to please everyone at all times.

A people hiding everything they believe because it might make some little boy somewhere angry.

And we don't want that.

Do we?

It's your choice. Give in and let it swallow you or rise up and speak your mind.