Why Guns At A Young Age? | Teen Ink

Why Guns At A Young Age?

February 13, 2009
By Aaron Serrano BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania
Aaron Serrano BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The news is nothing but sadness. Everyday the same thing over and over again. Nothing but killing and street violence. Some people ask why? Why does this happen. Why must this go on and on. Well it is all due to the age limit of guns.

Most teens are killed by gun violence. Too many teens are joining street gangs in cities. Teens should not be able to acquire guns in anyway. It is to easy for anyone to receive a gun. For example once someone turns 18 and they buy a gun what is stopping them from give the gun to a little brother or sister? Nothing and this is what happens.
Guns should not be sold at the age of 18. The age limit should be raised because at the age of 18 people are still young and crazy. If it was raised people would have more common sense. The age limit should be 30. At the age of 30 people have lived their life to see what other people are doing with guns and think its sick and horrible. But 18 year olds just want to buy it to be cool then get angry and shoot someone. Too many people are dying.

Gun are also used in bank robberies. If the age limit was raised people would have 30 years to think about what they are going to do. As to a 18 year old just wants money so the person get a gun and want to put it to use. Guns are not toys but teens treat them like one.

Guns are also used as self-defense too. It is fine to have a gun as self-defense. It is fine because if there is someone shooting in public and hurting people it would be handy to have one to protect others too. As long as the gun is registered and use correctly it is no harm to the environment. A gun should never be fired until fired upon.

Guns should not be sold to 18 year olds. Guns are not toys nor are they to be messed with. Guns should only be sold to people over the age of 30 . They should be sold at 30 because people will be acting like adults.18-Year-Olds Can Now Buy Guns in South Carolina
May 9th, 2008 by funderberg
Columbia (AP) - People as young as 18 can now buy and own handguns in South Carolina. Governor Mark Sanford signed a bill into law Wednesday to lower the minimum age from 21.

?People who are old enough to fight and die in the military should be able to purchase handguns, and the bill will put our laws more in line with those of other states,? Sanford spokesman Joel Sawyer said.

The law went into effect immediately.

South Carolina is one of 18 states ? and the only one in the South ? that had set 21 as the age for handgun ownership, according to the National Rifle Association. The group says Wyoming has no handgun age requirement. In Montana, it?s set at 14; in Vermont, 16.Rep. Mike Pitts, a Laurens Republican and retired police officer, had filed the bill to
help out a national gun wholesaler located in Lexington County where employees younger than 21 were filling orders over the phone. A legal opinion by state Attorney General Henry McMaster had said that was not allowed because of their age and Pitts argued it would cost half the company?s workers their jobs.

Pitts said gun retailers will still have to comply with state and federal firearms laws.

He said he sees no need to change the minimum age of 21 for a concealed weapons permit in South Carolina.


The author's comments:
I had to write a editorial for english class