A Look on Bullying | Teen Ink

A Look on Bullying

By haileyishmael BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
haileyishmael BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana

Bullying is a common social issue that needs to be taken care of. Whether it be by adults or students. Anyone who sees bullying in action should speak up and report the bullying that is taking place. There are forty-three percent of young people that have been bullied, forty-four percent of which are bullied at least once a week. Seventy-four percent of those who have been bullied, have, at some point been physically attacked, seventeen percent have been sexually assaulted, and sixty-two percent have been cyber bullied. As a result of bullying, twenty-nine percent self harmed, twenty-seven percent skipped class, fourteen percent developed an eating disorder and twelve percent ran away from home (DitchTheLabel, Annual Bullying Survey). Bullying results in suicide, self-harm, and depression. Whether the bullies know it or not, their words affect others.

Though there are not many recent articles, there are stories that no one can forget. For example, the Amanda Todd story. Amanda Todd was fifteen years old when she committed suicide after being bullied. About a month before her death, she posted a video called, "My story: Struggling, bullying, suicide, self harm." She talked about her story and went into detail about being bullied. She continued to get bullied after she posted the video. Still to this day her video gets comments like, “She deserved to die” and “She’s doing this only for attention.” Some are supportive and give their condolences, but there will always be the negative comments, too. All Amanda wanted was to have a friend to help her get through the low point in her life. She never got to meet that person because she let it get to her. Only after her death did people want to feel sorry for her and wish that they could have been there to help her. She had friends, but they didn’t help her. Amanda took a month after her video to commit suicide, so her friends could have helped and reported the man who posted the pictures of her. They also could have just helped her get through it before she decided on killing herself. Adults also could have helped by going to the police and reporting the bullying that was going on.

Another story that maybe not many people are familiar with is the Thomas Thompson case. He was eleven years old and committed suicide due to bullying. Kids at school told him that he was too clever and well spoken. They called him names like “gay boy” and “fatso.” He was interested in politics and often attended anti-war rallies. Thomas was a young boy who didn’t deserve the treatment he got from his peers. He should have been able to live his life, and be able to fulfill his dreams. He was only a child, eleven years old, and he was bullied for studying in school, and pushing himself a little farther than most. Thomas attempted suicide, and when the paramedics went in to safe him, he has suffered from a fatal heart attack. Thomas could still be here if only the teachers would have taken notice. The students should have spoken up and not have just stood there and watched, regardless if they would have been the one to be bullied.

If bystanders see bullying, then they should tell an adult, or call the police. They can be the reason that the rates of suicide attempts go down. If adults see the bullying, then they need to take action. Bullying does not only physically hurt it scars the brain. Every teen that has ever been bullied would know that the pain sticks around forever. They just have to take small steps to get over it. If action is taken sooner, then that is the less that the child or teen has to deal with later on. The aftermath is much worse because they drown in their thoughts, and that is what leads to suicide. They begin to believe all the negative comments that were said about them.

I was inspired to write about this topic because I was the kid who got picked on in middle school. I was and still am going through depression. Believe it when it is said that no one knows what is truly going on in others' home lives. I was hurting on the inside and no one knew, and I still got picked on. I wanted to tell people that even if they are going through a rough time, they can always get through it. Sure I had help along the way, but that doesn't change the fact that every now and then I'll get a suicidal thought. Be the change in your community, and help stop bullying. Teens all around the world get bullied. They get sexually assaulted, abused, abused by words. It is a terrifying image to get out of one's head and to be constantly reminded or constantly traumatized only makes it worse.