A New Study About Teen Suicide | Teen Ink

A New Study About Teen Suicide

September 2, 2015
By nncrocks SILVER, Villanova, Pennsylvania
nncrocks SILVER, Villanova, Pennsylvania
8 articles 14 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"The world is but a canvas to our imagination." Henry David Thoreau


A new study has found that family rejection could lead to teen suicide. A few teens were followed ninety-nine teenagers six months after discharge from a psychiatric unit. Most of the teens who were discharged said they felt family or peer invalidation at the time of discharge. Family invalidation also is the lack of acceptance of an individuals’ sense of self and their emotions. Not accepting an aspect of a child’s identity, preference, or sexuality is also considered family invalidation. The study finds a direct correlation between a lack of family or peer acceptance can lead to self-harm or suicide. The study doesn’t find these factors as direct cause of suicide. Researchers also found that other factors such as self- acceptance of sexual orientation or bullying contributed to suicide attempts. The teens were asked on a weekly basis if they felt accepted by their family and friends. The researchers also asked them if they felt dismissed, punished, or ignored. Girls were most likely to feel rejected by their family. The rejection of family for the boys increased their risk of suicide.  Boys who felt invalidation were four times likely to attempt suicide then a boy who didn’t. Girls who felt peer invalidation were 86% more likely to self-harm. The study found no alarming numbers in self-harm among peer invalidation. The study did not investigate the participants’ sexual orientation. The researchers reported their findings in the Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. 

 

This research shows the psychology of people’s mind and what factors into their decision of suicide. Peer and family invalidation are leading causes of self- harm and suicide. The research gives insight into the midst of issues facing teens. 


The author's comments:

An important issue that has faced the media numerous times over the years.