Society's Gender Roles | Teen Ink

Society's Gender Roles

June 7, 2015
By zoe22 GOLD, Vienna, Virginia
zoe22 GOLD, Vienna, Virginia
15 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A drop in the ocean, a change in the weather," Ron Pope


Why do I need to serve cups of teas, when I can enjoy my cup of tea? From the point of a housewife, while her husband works onto the creation of a new computer program; she serves her duty as the housewife washing the dishes, doing laundry, and prepare mouth-watering supper to be eaten upon her spouse's return!


Our perspectives create stereotypes between genders, therefore boundaries form to assign our certain roles we must carry out.


I honor the esteemed Thomas Jefferson for his Declaration of Independence, but he said "All men are created equal."


What about women? Shouldn't we be 'created equal' as well?


Why would we not be able to perform work that utilized muscles or brain? How are we weaker? We have been given minimal chances to prove our equal brain and muscle strength. Aren't we all human beings? If women and men are given the same independent variable, the dependent variable will be alike.


When men left their jobs to be out on the battlefields, Rosie the Riveters were on control of the economy. In addition, Rosalind Franklin, Marie Curie, and Sally Ride went beyond their given genders to accomplish tasks thought to be only achievable by the male. We aim for our goals hoping for a perfect targeted center, but our barriers restrain us into our homes and kitchens.


Our modern American society has improved with women's rights over the years, but still long distance away from reaching the summit. We may be drops in the ocean, but know that ocean will be less without those drops.


The author's comments:

What I want people to take out of this piece is to show how women are and still stereotyped while the man is given more superiority. However, I would like to prove my point that men and women are overall human and should be treated equally.