Our Own Magic | Teen Ink

Our Own Magic

By TrixLovegood PLATINUM, Lisboa, Other
TrixLovegood PLATINUM, Lisboa, Other

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Cicero

Writing is magic. Have you noticed? I have, 1,2,3… 27 keys in front of me and with these, I have created a pattern, which you can decipher. Some call it the reading, I call it magic. I wonder how the first language developers did it. A few days ago we were discussing why nowadays, 10th graders learn what thirty years ago was taught in university. My teacher asked us, “Did education get more demanding, or did people get more intelligent?”There was a big discussion, but in the end, Mr. Brown (the psychology teacher) told us that due to a number of factors like the advancing of technology and the environment people live in nowadays, we are getting smarter as they generations progress. I couldn’t disagree more.

In the Stone Age, humans discovered fire and started developing their language by instinct. In the Renaissance period, Leonardo da Vinci knew just about everything that there was to know. He was a polymath, painter, sculptor, architect, musician, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, geologist, cartographer, botanist, and writer. Now, Apple and Microsoft release a fantastic new advancement in technology at least once a year but I don’t think it is because we’re getting smarter, I think that it’s because humanity has an invisible line connecting the past to the present to the future and through that line André-Jacques Garnerin picked Da Vinci’s first drawings of parachutes and conceived them into what they are today. This line leaves the legacy from the past to the present. A human being is constantly learning but that does not mean we’re getting smarter, that means we’re getting bigger, our minds are wider and wider minds are likely to be more creative and creativity is Art.

The first development of language took place 350,000-150,000 years ago, humans started by painting on walls for their survival, now we’re painting on walls for self-expression. The Art of writing will never cease to amaze me because Art does not only evolve, it grows and touches each of our hearts in different ways when we most need it. As Stella Adler once said, “Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.”