The Or, And, Neither Problem | Teen Ink

The Or, And, Neither Problem

December 21, 2014
By LoonyKitty01 PLATINUM, Sacramento, California
LoonyKitty01 PLATINUM, Sacramento, California
21 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Of course this is happening in your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" -Dumbledore


Society has come up with a way to make us feel as though we have a choice, when really? We don’t. We have an ‘or’, but we don’t have an ‘and’ or ‘neither’. The question is, why can’t we have all three? Now this idea, this realization, shows itself in some of the smallest, and biggest, ways.
           

One example is this commonly asked question, “Are you a cat person, or are you a dog person?”  Now, you might think, “Hey, it has an or, so that must mean I have a choice.” Well, think again. Say someone were to love both animals equally, or hated the both. Would they be forced to choose between the better of two angels? The lesser of two evils? This is one of the many examples of what I personally like to call, the Or, And, Neither Problem.
Now, let’s move on to a bigger issue. Voting. It is again election time, and us citizens are asked to elect our leader. Society expects us to answer this simple question, “Republican or Democratic?” Yes, there are numerous other parties, but are any of them really being put into the limelight? The answer? No. They are being pushed aside by the two most popular parties. You see my point? We are told we have a choice, but our choices are limited. Once again, the Or, And, Neither Problem is becoming more apparent through time.

 

Normally, I would ask you if you will help out with this ongoing catastrophe, but in this case, I will leave that question for you to ask. There so many things you can do to help eliminate this problem. All I ask is that you think about it. Just think.


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this essay for some English Extra Credit. It is being published by Creative Commons.