Need Thin | Teen Ink

Need Thin

July 9, 2014
By AshhKel BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
AshhKel BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." - Ronald Reagan


Skinny. This one word brings a billion images to mind. This one word is something that the media glorifies and what billions of people strive to be. The problem strikes when this is no longer about living a healthy lifestyle. Instead, this becomes an issue where people starve themselves, binge and purge, and run until their legs collapse. People kill themselves to be one thing: skinny.

It’s disappointing to see the change in society. Curvy women with some meat on their bones used to inspire women to gain some weight in order to be healthy and show off those curves. Now, bones are in style. The media is filled with Victoria’s Secret models. Their annual fashion show gives girls (and guys) motivation to become skinnier versions of themselves. “I’m skipping dinner tonight.” “I’m not eating for a month!” “I need to lose 12 pounds by the summer…”

In my opinion, every body deserves to be loved and nourished and taken care of. All people are beautiful and nobody should be put down because of their weight. We find ourselves often mocking the people who don’t look like the people in the magazines. The people with some extra meat on their bones are often the targets of nasty comments like “Fat cow!” “Pig!” “Fatty!” and much worse.

It’s time to put an end to this. There should be more celebrities who are proud to show off their curves and people should learn to accept themselves for who they are and what they look like. The amount of eating disorders in the world is a major issue, and if people could stop photo-shopping and crash-dieting then maybe the world would be a better, healthier place.

No matter who you are, and what you look like, you are beautiful. You are magnificent, splendid, amazing. Don’t let anyone tell you that you are less than that because of a number on a scale. You are much more than that. If your health is at risk, work to lose the weight you need to be healthy, but never forget that you are beautiful exactly the way that you are.

You deserve love and the feeling of overwhelming beauty from the moment you wake up to the moment you fall asleep. Words can hurt, and this needs to end. The people in the magazines DON’T LOOK LIKE THE PEOPLE IN THE MAGAZINES! Be yourself, be true to who you are, and forget the obsession with being skinny. Love who you are, and if you decide to get fit or lose weight, do it for you and to be healthy! If you have curves, love them! If you have bones and you’re healthy, love them! Love who you are and never stop: but stop glorifying the obsession with being skinny.