An In-depth Look at Why Your Life Sucks So Much | Teen Ink

An In-depth Look at Why Your Life Sucks So Much

By Ms.Alice BRONZE, Barrie, Other
Ms.Alice BRONZE, Barrie, Other

Resistance- because if we fight we might lose; but if we don't fight we've already lost.

The biggest lie that anyone ever told me was that I could be whatever I want. That I had a choice. And for a while I believed that lie. I've spent my life doing what most young girls do, and thinking what most young girls think, ignorantly believing that I was in control of my life.

So there’s this thing that I think of as the “conveyor belt of life”. We as a society are pushed through life and sent threw the motions; we go to school, are intelligence is measured by some or another grading system and once are usefulness to society has been determined we are sent to work. We watch T.V, we follow trends, we worry about money, we grow up and maybe get married, buy a house, pop out our own children and proceed to then mold them in our own image all the while repetitively telling them that they have a choice.

Close your eyes for a moment and picture yourself in a small dark room. No one likes the dark; the black abyss frightens you because you have no knowledge of what lurks inside. Your whole life you have been warned about the danger of the unknowing so of course you look for a way out. There are two ways out of this room illuminated by the light that you seek. One path is simply labelled “Left” and the other “Right”. Ah, so you must make a choice, for surely these two door ways lead to two different places? No, your wrong. Perhaps you are the daring, non-conformist type, maybe you decide that you are going to take “the road less traveled by”. But you see that problem is that both of these roads ultimately lead to the same f***ing place. Sure maybe the journey is a little different, but only by a little. Not so much different as much as they are just slightly different versions of each other. Much like people.

“Look at all these mindless sheep!” You think to yourself on a busy street. “Am I the only one awake? At least I don’t conform to the masses, at least I’m different.” And these thoughts comfort you, and you believe these thoughts. Then one day you realize that this is what everyone is thinking. Maybe you’re a brown sheep instead of a white sheep like on one of those posters on the otherwise beige walls of your school or college telling you that it’s okay to be unique. But you see you’re still a sheep. Sure you’re a different type of sheep with your own thoughts and opinions about grass, and the latest farm gossip, or whatever sheep’s think about, but in the end your still going to the slaughter house as soon as your done being useful.

Now lets move on from sheep for a second and lets talk about people. Now I think that the worst thing that people do to each other is trivialize other peoples problems. Now I’m not saying that you shouldn't be grateful for what you have. What I’m saying is that very few people have to work for the kind of life style that most of society aspires to have. Of course everyone wants to hate the girl who gets everything she wants and turns into a spoiled, ungrateful brat, meanwhile maybe your struggling to make ends meet and putting all you have into just being okay. Why should she have that life style when all she did was fall out of the right vagina? The only reason that this seems so unfair is because that is what you have decided to compare yourself to, that life style is what we have been taught as being attainable threw study and hard work. If only intelligent, hardworking, good- hearted people became rich and prosperous, then every women in Africa would be a millionaire.

So as we sit here and fight each other over things like clothing choice and sexual orientation. Stressing out about not getting an A on that essay, or that your friend started smoking weed, we forget how little these problems are. We are either going to be a generation that realizes how insignificant we have been made by this system and fail to change it, or worse the ones that died blind.