Capital Punishment Is Dead Wrong | Teen Ink

Capital Punishment Is Dead Wrong MAG

July 27, 2008
By Anonymous

Murder is wrong. Since childhood we have been taught this indisputable truth. Ask yourself, then, what is capital punishment? In its simplest form, capital punishment is defined as one person taking the life of another. Coincidentally, that is the definition of murder. There are 36 states with the death penalty, and they must change. These states need to abolish it on the grounds that it carries a dangerous risk of punishing the innocent, is unethical and barbaric, and is an ineffective deterrent of crime versus the alternative of life in prison without parole.

Capital punishment is the most ­irreparable crime governments perpetrate without consequence, and it must be abolished. “We’re only ­human, we all make mistakes,” is a commonly used phrase, but it is tried and true. Humans, as a species, are famous for their mistakes. However, in the case of the death penalty, error becomes too dangerous a risk. The innocent lives that have been taken with the approval of our own government should be enough to abolish capital punishment.

According to Amnesty International, “The death penalty legitimizes an irreversible act of violence by the state and will inevitably claim innocent victims.” If there is any chance that error is possible (which ­there always is), the drastic measure of capital ­punishment should not be taken. Also, it is too final, meaning it does not allow opportunity for th accused to be proven innocent, a violation of the Fifth Amendment which guarantees due process of law.

District Judge Jed S. Rakoff of the United States Second Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan ­argued against the death penalty: “In brief, the Court found that the best available evidence indicates that, on the one hand, innocent people are sentenced to death with materially greater frequency than was previously supposed and that, on the other hand, convincing proof of their innocence ­often does not emerge until long after their convictions. It is therefore fully foreseeable that in enforcing the death penalty a meaningful number of innocent people will be executed who otherwise would eventually be able to prove their innocence.”

As humans, we are an inevitable force of error. However, when a life is at stake, error is not an option. The death penalty is murder by the government. As a nation, we have prided ourselves in our government, its justice and truth. However, can we continue to call our government fair if we do not hold it to the same rules we do its people? Murder by a citizen will have consequences, yet a government-approved ­murder is not only acceptable, but enforceable. What message do we send the American people, and other countries, for that matter, if we continue to be a ­nation that kills its citizens, a nation that enforces the most barbaric form of punishment?

The Illinois Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty states, “We don’t cut off the hands of thieves to ­protect property; we do not stone adulterers to stop adultery. We consider that barbaric. Yet we continue to take life as a means of protecting life.” No person, government-affiliated or not, has the right to decide if another human is worthy or unworthy of life. Our natural rights as humans, which cannot be taken away by the government, include the right to life. Humans are not cold metal coins that lose value; no act, no matter how heinous, can make a person less of a human being. However, for most it is easy to ­forget that each of the 1,099 executed since 1977 are fellow humans, not just numbers.

According to Amnesty International, “The death penalty violates the right to life.” Capital punishment contradicts our moral beliefs and claims of a fair and just government. The U.S. must join its political ­allies – including Europe, Scandinavia, Russia, South Africa, and most of Latin America – that have abolished the death penalty.

The death penalty is favored by some as an effective deterrent of crime; however, it is proven that states with the death penalty actually have higher murder rates than those without. It is proven that our nation does not need this extreme threat of punishment to prevent crime. In 2006, the FBI Uniform Crime Report revealed that the area of the U.S. that was responsible for the most executions (the South with 80 percent) also had the highest murder rate, whereas the Northern areas that had the fewest ­executions (less than one percent), had the lowest murder rates.

It can be said that the death penalty is the most overlooked form of government hypocrisy; we murder people who murder people to show that murder is wrong. It is this contradiction in policy that confuses criminals and undermines any crime deterrence capital punishment was intended to have.

Many people favor the death penalty as reparation for the wrong done to a victim’s family; however, in most cases, closure is not the result. Losing a loved one, no matter how that person is lost, is unbearable, irrevocable, and shattering. Pain like this is shocking and the victim’s family holds onto the hope that the execution of the murderer will bring relief and closure. Nevertheless, when execution day arrives, the pain is not eased. No relief can be gained, for their pain is an unavoidable, natural process of life. Victims’ families have founded such groups as the Murder Victims Families for Reconciliation and The Journey of Hope, which oppose the death penalty. They ­believe that they are different from those who have taken their loved ones and they demonstrate their ­difference by refusing to sink to a murderer’s level.

Capital punishment is immoral and a violation of natural rights. It is wrong for everyone involved: the prosecuted innocent, criminals, victims’ families, and our nation. We need to replace the death penalty and capital punishment with life without parole, a safer and more inexpensive option. The death penalty does not guarantee safety for innocent victims, it does not follow the goals and promises of our nation, it does not effectively deter crime, and it does not give closure to victims’ families. Nothing good comes of hate, and nothing good can ever come from capital punishment. It cannot continue to be accepted by a nation that claims to have liberty and justice for all. The death penalty is murder on the sly and it’s dead wrong.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 473 comments.


doxielover15 said...
on May. 4 2010 at 10:12 pm
If you think that it costs a lot to keep someone in prison for life, you don't know how much it costs to give someone the death penalty- about $90,000 more annually than if that same person were to get a life sentence. Thats 63.3 million every year for California, my hometown. If death row were taken away and the maximum sentence changed to life in prison, it could save the state over 120 million annually. So, if you're worried about cost, think again

ally03 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 24 2010 at 11:51 am
ally03 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments
So basically you feel that, to use a quote, "society must be cleansed of elements which represent its own death?"

ally03 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 24 2010 at 11:45 am
ally03 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments
I never said five years.  I think it is incontrovertible that they need to be kept locked up or, you're right, it will happen again.  However, if you are willing to kill someone based on it being too expensive for them to live, I take pity on you and everyone else who favors the death penalty.  I might add that people have been executed and later proven innocent.  This inhumane system does not render justice. 

on Apr. 23 2010 at 4:36 pm
TheFaithfulOne BRONZE, Fairway, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
God is the light that shows me the way, for there is nothing

that God cannot do

but putting someone in jail costs a lot of government and city money.  And its better to get those kinds of people off the streets and not be put in jail for like. . .5 years for murdering someone.  They WILL! do it again, and again, and again, until they die.

on Apr. 23 2010 at 4:33 pm
TheFaithfulOne BRONZE, Fairway, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
God is the light that shows me the way, for there is nothing

that God cannot do

accually, its the exact opposite.  Being in prison/jail is much easier than living outside of the prison.  Like you don't have to pay taxes, you get free food, heck, you even get free TV.  But Prison wardens should be harder on the prisoners.  But, I do agree with you on the death sentence issue, like with Osama ect.  But with my Dad being in Iraq curently, I don't want any terrorists around.

on Apr. 22 2010 at 2:07 am
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

It's not revenge; it's justice. 

Look at it this way: for every person who is murdered, it affects their friends, their family, their parents, their co-workers. It's a ripple effect. It's not just between the murderer and the victim. You want to prevent people from murdering. You can't do that by giving them a couple of years in a jail. If they were passionate enough to go through with taking someone's life, they're not going to be stopped by jail. 

And if they are, then thank God. But not everyone is like that. They're murderers, not juvenile candy-thieves.


julia_elg said...
on Apr. 21 2010 at 11:03 pm
julia_elg, Valley Village, California
0 articles 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And of course there must be something wrong / In wanting to silence any song." - Robert Frost, "A Minor Bird"

I agree that it's a pretty idealized view of things.... I'm not saying this (everyone respecting everyone else) could actually happen, just that I think we should aim to be closer to that. Our government shouldn't reinforce the mentality that we need to get revenge on criminals. It may not stop people from thinking that way, but it will help keep people involved in law from acting that way.

on Apr. 21 2010 at 10:53 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

I see what you're saying, but you're also being idealistic. Until or unless the USA/other-countries includes something like "ethics" in the school curriculum, they can't really control people's thoughts of respect. Not everyone respects people; not everyone has been raised like that. If the government tries to control people's views on respect, it's called 'brainwashing'. They're sort of stuck between two hard places.

on Apr. 17 2010 at 12:01 pm
Smileyky108 BRONZE, Venetia, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 20 comments
I love this. I never really looked at it this way! I personally feel that being in prison for life is much worse than being sentenced to death, therefore it is a better punishment. But, I do think, that in some cases (i.e. Hitler, Saddam Hussein, Osama Bin Ladin) death sentence is acceptable because I personally (and I think others can agree with me) would feel safer knowing that they are no longer living. 

riddle BRONZE said...
on Apr. 17 2010 at 8:18 am
riddle BRONZE, Shenyang, Other
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments
death penalty is justice. it is not murder. anyway we have enough people on earth today; killing those who deserve to die can also do the earth a favor. those scumbags should pay for their crimes and nothing is better than capital punishment

julia_elg said...
on Apr. 17 2010 at 3:05 am
julia_elg, Valley Village, California
0 articles 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And of course there must be something wrong / In wanting to silence any song." - Robert Frost, "A Minor Bird"

I have a few problems with this argument. First of all, it costs more money to give a lethal injection than to keep a person of average life span in jail for life. Second, the money we use on criminal justice is not going to "criminals rather than children" - it's going to keep criminals off the streets to protect everyone, including children. This is not necessarily done at the expense of education - that's simply not the way the federal (or state) budget works.

I agree we need to be more fiscally responsible punishment-wise, though. Shouldn't we try to go with the cheaper options? Instead of jailing people who don't really need to be in jail, we can send them to other places. Nonviolent drug offenders could go to rehab, not jail. It's things like this that will save us money, not killing people indiscriminately.

Finally, I don't really care if a criminal would rather die than go to jail. First of all, most wouldn't. In jail, there are actually quite a few ways to be released. Especially if you were a minor tried as an adult, or a very young adult, forthcoming laws might get you life with parole or a shorter sentence, depending on what you did. Second, if a person has so little hope that they believe death is preferable, they need the sort of psychiatric attention rarely given to criminals, not a death sentence. And it's a little scary to me to suggest that killing them is in any way helpful to them. Last I checked, in America, we may despise you and punish you. But we don’t cheapen your humanity by pretending it’s for your own good.

I want to stress, though, that you're totally right that this is not about immature retaliation, and I do not believe capital punishment is equal to murder. I do believe it's financially, socially, and especially morally, a bad choice.


julia_elg said...
on Apr. 17 2010 at 2:49 am
julia_elg, Valley Village, California
0 articles 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And of course there must be something wrong / In wanting to silence any song." - Robert Frost, "A Minor Bird"

Sorry for replying to this after it's been a few months...but, really? One who molests should be molested? What kind of philosophy is that? I think Destinee brings up a key point which is: fear. If people fear punishment, but do not respect human life or society, it's not achieving much. All this means is that it teaches people the only reason not to commit a crime is you'll get caught. So if someone knows (or believes) they won't get caught, they'll commit the crime anyway. This isn't an argument against the death penalty specifically, but more our country's attitude toward criminal justice.

on Apr. 13 2010 at 7:28 pm
Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana
8 articles 0 photos 236 comments

Favorite Quote:
To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

I think what a lot of people don't realise is that capital punishment can only serve its purpose as a crime deterrent if it is a concrete and definite penalty for murder.  Currently, that is not neccessarily the case, as the penalty for murder fluctuates depending on a variety of factors - location, victim, jury, ect.  To fully operate as a successful deterrent, capital punishment would need to be enacted more consistently, otherwise it won't have nearly as effective an impact.

KitCat BRONZE said...
on Apr. 5 2010 at 2:36 pm
KitCat BRONZE, Stanmore, Other
1 article 3 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"life is a beautiful mess"

I agree we are defined by what we allow our country to do. We are just as good as the murderer if we kill them. Where I live capital punishment is banned. I love your article it is brilliantly written

on Mar. 26 2010 at 8:35 pm
firstsnowfalls DIAMOND, Marcellus, New York
51 articles 6 photos 105 comments
great job. completely agreed.

ally03 BRONZE said...
on Mar. 26 2010 at 8:29 pm
ally03 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments
Personally, I would rather see my murderer having to rot away in a cell, living with this execrable fact.  That, to me, would be more tortuous and effective.

on Mar. 26 2010 at 8:47 am
AlexaBeth SILVER, Stewartstown, Pennsylvania
5 articles 0 photos 5 comments
I agree with this article 100%

on Mar. 26 2010 at 8:46 am
AlexaBeth SILVER, Stewartstown, Pennsylvania
5 articles 0 photos 5 comments
          I disagree with you...I mean, yes it's true way too much money is spent on criminals, but does that mean we should just kill them off? How can preach good morals and push the fact that murder is wrong if we're doing it ourselves? To me it seems our country is very hypocritical on this topic. You can't kill someone for them killing someone else...it does not make sense. I just wrote an article on abortion yesterday, (You should all check it out) in it I state that no one has the right to take the life of another human being, it is not up to us to decide when someone’s time here on earth is up, which is exactly why murder is wrong. God is the only one with the right to take one's life, he didn't give us that freedom which is why murder is in his Ten Commandments. Even if you're not religious, you have to see that murder is just simply wrong.

on Mar. 24 2010 at 7:05 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Actually, an eye for an eye will prevent future eye-pokers from poking eyes for fear of their own eyes being poked out.

...Sorry, I just dislike Ghandi a lot. And that saying.

on Mar. 24 2010 at 7:04 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

I agree completely.