Why being a teenager is so hard. | Teen Ink

Why being a teenager is so hard.

As a child you constantly hear adults complaining about teenagers. How they are antisocial, grumpy and impossible to get along with. I always thought to myself, “I’ll never be like that, why would I be?” For it seemed to me that teenagers (teenage girls to be precise) were this way because they cared too much about how they looked, make up and hairstyles were the second most important thing in their life, and the most important thing was boys. Now that I am a teenager, I can say that although these things are important, they are not the reason why being a teenager is so hard.

There are a lot of changes between childhood and being a teenager, and many of them are unexpected. For me, the most dramatic change has occurred recently. I have started to see the world as a new place. A place where drinking and drugs are common problems, peer pressure isn’t something you are warned about but a daily factor in many of your decisions. Friends you have known since forever begin to do things you don’t agree with, and eventually they turn into strangers. And the secret thoughts and fears told to you by your best friend are no longer about life, but about death. Suicide isn’t something you hear about on the news, it is now what keeps you up at night when your friend doesn’t reply and you don’t know why. You worry about them, about school, about what other people think of you. You put on a brave face to the world, and cry yourself to sleep in the safety of your own room.

Happy, sad, angry, confused and scared. They used to be the extent of your emotions, with a few others occasionally appearing in special circumstances. Now you don’t even know how you feel. One minute you can be happy, relaxed, calm and cool, but then one short text message can leave you angry, jealous, scared, worried, and frozen. They don’t tell you when you turn thirteen that feelings can bounce and change in seconds. I think we should be warned. Wouldn’t you like a letter in the post, telling you what will happen? That things will be scary, confusing, and different…but that you will make it through? We need something to hold on to when life is slowly slipping away, being replaced by something we cannot understand. Tell your friend today that they will make it, make them smile. Because we need our friends, and we need to keep smiling. Listen to a happy song, tell a funny joke, just hang in there and never give up.

I wrote this because I thought what I wrote needed to be said. I needed to see if anyone else agrees with me or feels the same way. I hope that people will gain hope when they read it and that anyone out there who is lost will realise that they aren't alone.

Countrygirl said...
on Feb. 6 2017 at 11:32 am
This was awesome I'm 17 now and facing graduation life's getting to be difficult and I needed some encouragement so I Google "why is being a teen so hard" this was one of first articles to pop up, I can honestly say this was just what I needed! It's nice to know that your not alone in the hard times of life, thank you.

Bigby Wolf said...
on Oct. 19 2016 at 11:49 am
god watch over your battles friend :)

priyabanana said...
on Aug. 28 2016 at 1:29 am
whatever you said is absolutely true.i totally agree with u.may god bless you and be with u through the rest of your beautiful life.love u forever

alice said...
on Jun. 3 2016 at 3:07 pm
Thank you very much for your post. I very much relate to what you describe, from memory of my teenage years as well as from periods of uncertainty in my adulthood. ( I am 37). Sometimes it seems like its all falling apart and there is only the void, yet, things do get clear, perhaps we just need to learn how to swim inside these emotional cycles... and, yes, like you do, find ways to share what we feel and think and support each other. Be well and keep enjoying life!

cam123 said...
on May. 29 2016 at 9:38 am
This is really important. Lately I've been arguing with my mum loads and I just feel as if there's nothing to live for anymore. My friends are slipping away and im trying to hang on to the last threads of our friendship but eventually I stop trying. I never have time to do my homework as all my time at home is spent arguing and crying. I feel as if anyone that gets close to me always gets hurt. My mum and dad have been divorced since I was 2 and even though its 11 years later they're still at each others throats. Just last night my mum told me that I was bullying her and she wanted to kill herself. Practically everyone in my house is depressed and its horrible. I don't know what to do. Turning into a teenager has turned me into a horrible person and I can't seem to control it.

on Nov. 4 2015 at 1:02 pm
emilyjumonville BRONZE, White Castle, Louisiana
This article relates with how I feel everyday, and it feels good to know I am not the only one feeling like this. “Friends you have known since forever begin to do things you don’t agree with, and eventually they turn into strangers.” I am slowly learning this throughout high school, and this couldn’t be anymore true.

Angie said...
on Jun. 26 2015 at 8:25 pm
Thank you so much!!! I'm turning 13 and honestly I'm scared. I'm scared that I'll change into something I never wanted For my life, and that I may hurt the people I love and care about most. I honestly want to be different that the normal careless, disrespectful teenager. Again, Thank You, it was an encouragement.

jcase said...
on Jun. 8 2015 at 2:56 pm
Keep it up. I love it and it makes people think after reading this. Keep making more

dblissfully said...
on Apr. 10 2015 at 3:10 pm
Just gave this article to my 14 year old. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Ozayr said...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:22 am
Give me ur bbm pin please
Cheers

Ozayr said...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:22 am
Give me ur bbm pin please
Cheers

Ozayr said...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:22 am
Give me ur bbm pin please
Cheers

Ozayr said...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:22 am
Give me ur bbm pin please
Cheers

Ozayr said...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:22 am
Give me ur bbm pin please
Cheers

Ozayr said...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:21 am
Give me ur bbm pin please
Cheers

Ozayr said...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:21 am
Give me ur bbm pin please
Cheers

Ozayr said...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:21 am
Give me ur bbm pin please
Cheers

Ozayr said...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:21 am
Give me ur bbm pin please
Cheers

Ozayr said...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:21 am
Give me ur bbm pin please
Cheers

Ozayr said...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:21 am
Give me ur bbm pin please
Cheers