There are Varying Degrees of Insanity but Everyone is Insane | Teen Ink

There are Varying Degrees of Insanity but Everyone is Insane

February 20, 2011
By -JustDance- PLATINUM, Medford, Oregon
-JustDance- PLATINUM, Medford, Oregon
23 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The manner in which we live and that in which we ought to live are things so wide asunder that he who quits the one to betake himself in the other is more likely to destroy than to save himself." ~Niccolo Machiavelli

So let us find the balance.


If I am correct, than it is almost laughable that anyone would attempt to write a persuasive essay. If my opinion rings true, as I believe it does, than there is no reason to try and impress your opinion on someone else by any method, simply because it is not possible that their opinion will change no matter how good your argument may be.
The human race prides themselves with being the only species with the ability to change. While every other creature follows instinct, we think for ourselves. Or do we?
To generalize, the human race is a load of pompous, pretentious pricks. We don't change. We are self-righteous, always condemning others, lifting ourselves up. We're bloodthirsty warmongers. We lust power and authority. Our opinions never change. Did you ever notice, (Or were you too busy congratulating yourself on something trivial) that our attitudes never change? Yes, we may have epiphanies every once in a while, but they never change anything, only make us stand firmer in our conviction of self-righteousness.
Our thoughts and values run in a cycle. A never ending circle. Usually this circle matches our year. We may feel differently in the flamboyant summer than we do in the dead of winter, but we never completely stray from our original opinions. They do not metamorphosize, they simply put on a mask.
Why are Shakespeare's plays just as popular now as they were in the 16th century? Because they dealt with the very basis of human behavior. I can promise ONE thing: Human nature has not ever and will not ever change. Macbeth was a success because everyone will lie, cheat, steal, prod and poke their way into power. Why have there always been wars? Because we are willing o kill to get what we want.
If that's so natural of humans, you ask, then why is it considered such a heinous crime? For that, I have an answer as well. If we do not gin anything from it, it is tragic. If someone gains something by killing someone, something they themselves have been desperately working for, they'd d it in a heartbeat. By when a bystander sees that, they don't understand the motive behind it. They think it a crime- until they see the need themselves.
When preparing soldiers for war, men create incentives for their first kill. It's necessary, no one wants to kill someone. Unless they get something out of it. The people they're fighting for might, but not the actual soldiers. The incentives are merely making it the soldier's war, not the countries'.
Through the ages we've seen people act the same way again and again. We feel the same way about tacos this Tuesday as we did last Tuesday. We feel the same way we did this February about love as we did last February.
The thing about humans is that we want to feel good about ourselves. The reason we are so self-righteous is because we have to live with ourselves. We recognize things as immoral and yet we do them anyway. We created the concept of change so that we could have hope that if put in that situation again, we wouldn't stoop so low the next time. But we do.
I do admit, this is a little extreme, but people get put in extreme situations all the time, and time and time again react in the same way. The only time I've EVER seen someone change was in a movie, but that's not real. It's just an illusion. The truth is it's human nature not to change. Why are things so messed up in Egypt right now? Well, have you heard of the French Revolution? Or World War II? People will slap men across the face, or even kill if they get what they want, whether what they want is their dignity back, or their country back. Because, after all, there may be varying degrees of insanity, but everyone is insane.

On the flip side, however, you have compassion and love. You have human decency. People may be stead-fasted in their views, but not all views are evil and immoral. Some are good and kind, and just as powerful.