Should European Muslim Women Be Allowed to Wear Burqas? | Teen Ink

Should European Muslim Women Be Allowed to Wear Burqas?

November 2, 2010
By amandaa SILVER, Lysekil, Other
amandaa SILVER, Lysekil, Other
7 articles 2 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Set a goal so big that if you achieved it, it would blow your mind." -The Secret


Should Muslim women be allowed to wear burqas in a European society? Should they be allowed to wear them in public places such as cinemas, parks, or schools, where non-Muslims live and work? No, I believe, that they shouldn’t.

I believe that Muslim women should not be allowed to wear burqas in a European society. Burqas cover a woman’s head and face and sometimes even their eyes. They shouldn’t be allowed to wear them for practical reasons. Secondly, when talking to one another, Europeans look each other in the eyes and read facial expressions. Lastly, Europe believes in gender equality and the burqa is considered as gender oppression. (Lund, Chris)

The burqa should be banned in European societies because of practical reasons. The burqa reduces your vision and therefore driving becomes difficult and might become a danger to others. In many European countries, it is forbidden by driving law to reduce your vision. Further, identification becomes difficult when your face is covered. (Althouse, Ann) For example, when going to the bank there is a need of identifying yourself with an ID and that may be a problem when your face is covered. The same problem occurs when shopping with a credit card.

By covering their face and sometimes their eyes, makes it really difficult for them to integrate into their new society and makes it difficult for them to become accepted. Europeans are very dependent on facial expressions and eye contact when interacting. Wearing the burqa makes it hard for the women to become recognized and accepted in their new community. It’s difficult to start a conversation if you can’t identify the person. (Lund, Malin)

Europe is very fond of gender equality. They believe that all men and all women should be treated as equal as possible (Sungur, Ayse) Most Muslim men do not wear their traditional clothing whilst living in Europe so why should Muslim women have to?

In a dream society, it would be possible to express your beliefs, religion, and personality without anyone judging, but sadly that’s not the case. If for any reason, Muslim women should be allowed to wear the burqa in a European society, it would be because that is what they want to do and that is what they believe is right. (Lund, Malin) In Europe, there is freedom of speech and freedom of religion but everyone should have the freedom to express themselves the way they want to.

To conclude, Muslim women should not be allowed to wear a burqa in a European society because of practical reasons, communication reasons, and gender equality reasons, but therefore we shouldn’t take away their privilege of being able to cover their hair as their religion states that they should. It’s either the men who demand them to wear it or Islam who tells them to, either way, Europe is not the place for it. Wearing a scarf to cover their hair should be enough for them to still be able to practice their religion or to make themselves feel comfortable. (Lund, Chris)

___________________________________

Citations

Interviews

Lund, Malin
Personal
18 October, 2009

Lund, Chris
Personal
19 October, 2009


Websites

Althouse, Ann. "Should the Burqa -- and other face coverings –
be banned?." 18 Nov 2006. Ann Althouse, Web. 26 Oct
2009. <http://althouse.blogspot.com/2006/11/should-burqa-
and-other-face-coverings.html>.

Sungur, Ayse. "Därför ska slöjan bort från skolan." Aftonbladet 01 May
2004:n.pag.Web.19Oct2009.
<http://www.aftonbladet.se/debatt/article185690.ab#>.


The author's comments:
An argumentative essay that I wrote for my Social Studies class. I would like to point out that this is MY opinion and I respect others opinions and beliefs and I hope that mine will be respected too.