Watch Life Go By... | Teen Ink

Watch Life Go By...

December 14, 2009
By JennJenn BRONZE, Bangor, Pennsylvania
JennJenn BRONZE, Bangor, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
— Chuck Palahniuk


Watch life go by: swirling past your eyes, it is but a confused mass of colors, sounds; excitement, sorrow… Stop in the middle of a city, and watch the millions of bodies migrate to their daily workplace, errand run, and drug deal. These people, all of them, will never know exactly what will happen to them in the future, yet this is what they are striving to achieve. The future, as we all know it, is the one thing we long to know- yet once it happens, we tend to forget.

We wish not to forget the times of good- the small things that made us happy- That birthday party when you were 5, and you were given your favorite doll; first day of school, middle school, high school… graduation. Yet, in times of deep sorrow, we forget these things. What is it about sadness, grief, regret that causes a temporary loss of memory of good? How can we forget Christmas ’03, or your Sweet 16? For even if we do, in fact, remember these times when we are sorrowful, we always are focused on the negatives. Like, why didn’t I get what I wanted? Or, remember how bad I looked?

These things, so minuscule, are the things that bring us down the most. Low self esteem can drive a person to self loathing, and the hating of others causes fights, problems… then causing low self esteem. Think about it, getting in a fight with someone causes every nasty, horrible insult that you can ever think of to be thrown about as if it’s nothing. Yet lying in bed at the end of the day, that person who heard these things said about them (regardless of what they themselves said) can’t help but wonder- “is that true?”

No, of course it’s not true. See, if someone were to focus on anyone else but themselves for even a second, they would realize the things they cast upon the other victim were, in fact, lie. Although who wouldn’t do absolutely anything to win an argument? It’s all about an obsession people have- an obsession with themselves. If anyone were to realize that another person walks the earth who has feelings besides themselves, this would also shed light on the fact that we all worry, all have problems, and that no one really cares about anyone else but themselves, the world would be a much, much happier place.

So standing back on the street, take the above concept into consideration: think about the future while doing just that. Peoples’ minds are working in overtime about what to do, where to go, next. Cross the street, get the paper, get a coffee, go to work; work, for what- to gain money. Money for what- well it seems obvious, to be happy. Nevertheless, this is all about them. What should I do? Where should I go? Never mind the homeless person, that’s their own fault they’re sleeping in a cardboard box, of course. Don’t worry about paying a silent moment to the Twin Towers; just be happy you weren’t one of the “unlucky” ones.

What has this world come to?

An exaggeration? Think it not. For this world is a world focused upon material goods, and self appreciation- but without all these material possessions and ideas that the world will just stop turning if they were gone, then maybe, just maybe, we reach peace. Think about where peace is preached the most… a beauty pageant. Oh, the irony. For this is the one place that self-admiration is most evident.

The moral? Think about someone besides yourself for one day. Think of it as a challenge, if you must; but do it either way. For if we all practice this, maybe we can reach some sort of peace- a better future.