How Might Our Five Freedoms Benefit Americans? | Teen Ink

How Might Our Five Freedoms Benefit Americans?

June 10, 2021
By AlexisMontes BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
AlexisMontes BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.” 

Each of the five freedoms, included in the First Amendment, can benefit Americans when they understand their everyday rights. The 1st freedom gives Americans the right to choose religion without any form of consequence from Congress. 2nd freedom: freedom of speech. This clause ensures that the government cannot stop people from expressing anything they want to say, even if it’s negative speech towards the government. 3rd freedom: freedom of the press. This allows U.S. newspapers, magazines, and other media to report on whatever they choose, as long as they are not reporting false information. 4th freedom: freedom of assembly gives Americans the right to protest or parade publicly if it’s peaceful. 5th freedom: freedom to petition requires the government to listen to what citizens have to say. Americans of any age learning these five freedoms or rights can benefit from them by knowing what everyday freedoms they have without consequence. With these ideas we are free to choose.