Our changing Society | Teen Ink

Our changing Society

April 9, 2021
By 3breydon3 BRONZE, Storm Lake, Iowa
3breydon3 BRONZE, Storm Lake, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When you walk around a busy city like New York, you look around and you see how much our society has changed. You see huge skyscrapers; people walking around listening to music; people driving in noisy cars; people using the latest technology such as the newest phones, AirPods, people paying with credit cards, etc. You also notice people are not talking to one another, instead they're on their phones talking to bosses, friends, family. You realize some of those people in those noisy cars are angry and honking at the person in front of them. The way our society's worked together to build up all these new technologies to help us with our everyday life is incredible, but the way our society has developed communication wise to talking with the people around us is only worsening.

When you go back fifty years ago in New York City, there was no wireless phone meaning people would communicate with one another when walking the streets; Rather than in today's world, people are walking the streets on their phone playing a game or communicating with the phone ignoring others around them. fifty years ago people went out to meet people rather than use an online dating app. This isn't just in New York, this is what's happening all around the US. 50 years ago people at a young age went out to try to find jobs to get a head start for their future; Today kids rather play video games than work at all.

You look at how our society is now, and you notice how a lot of people lack communication skills. Imagine what the newest future generation will be like. 50 years ago people went out to talk to one another; Today most of us use our phones to communicate with each other; our society communication wise, what will it be like 50 years from now? Will our next generation be able to go out to talk to each other? Our Society is changing rapidly, but it's not all bad.

Today these newer technologies do help us communicate with people from long distances. Not all people lack communication skills, and because of these newer technologies, people around America can even work in their homes. fifty years ago we weren't able to talk to people from long distances without using a land phone. Today, we are able to walk around practically anywhere and people are able to communicate with each other with the newest phones. fifty years ago people would have thought it funny if you told them you're playing games with a phone. Today, we are able to do that. Even if you lack your verbal communication skills head on, many people are able to play video games while talking to each other. People often create their own language in a way while playing video games, fifty years ago if you talked to someone like that, they wouldn't understand it. With today's technology, we are able to travel many miles without stopping. Today we have planes, trains, cars, etc. Today people are able to work at home on their laptops, 50 years ago the laptop had yet to be invented.

Bullying was huge fifty years ago, but today there's such a thing as cyber bullying. Kids and even adults are being bullied today with our latest technologies. Being judged by your color was known more than fifty years ago but it's still bad today; Our society is changing always, but there is something that just hasn't changed. Today we are still dealing with race wars. Today, human trafficking or modern day slavery is at its highest. our murder rate is also higher than what it was fifty years ago.

If we want our society to improve, we have to work together to get that done; People also have to be willing to let our society improve. It's up to the people really, there's no one-hundred percent solution to this, nor is there (no solution). Our Society is changing everyday, good and bad; My question is, "what is our society going to look like 50 years from now?


The author's comments:

I originally was just going to just share this to my class, but I thought it would be kind of cool to post this.