Education and Dreams: Are They on the Same Page? | Teen Ink

Education and Dreams: Are They on the Same Page?

By dreamer_doer BRONZE, Hyderabad, Other
dreamer_doer BRONZE, Hyderabad, Other

None can tell your story so tell it yourself. None can write your story, so write it yourself.

Often, when I tell people that I dream of being an author, they're surprised. I am what you call a 'smart kid' these days- I get really good grades. People have this notion that authors are dumb people. And if you are not updated yet, dumb people are people who're not really into science and algebra. So, if I become an author, my brain's gonna rot writing all that fiction and all the science stuff will disappear and go to waste. Firstly, drumroll please, you can write about science. That doesn't mean writing textbooks , making children read them everyday and conducting tests. You could write about how amazing it is, how you've discovered something new and intriguing and so on. There is this ridiculous idea people have that the only useful people are the straight A students.That is untrue on so many levels. It's also downright depressing to the people who don't really manage to grab As for lunch everyday.The education system gives importamce to math, science and social science. They've never really paused and thought if the guy slouching in the last seat could be a rockstar and he could use some support. No wonder teenagers have pysochological problems. It would really help if a school had music classes thrice a week instead of once. What if the next Selena Gomez or Justin Bieber was from your school?