My Thoughts on Social Media | Teen Ink

My Thoughts on Social Media

December 20, 2018
By 123111 BRONZE, Madison, Wisconsin
123111 BRONZE, Madison, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Social Media is something that we, as a society, use a lot. The Merriam Webster’s dictionary defines social media as “forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (such as videos).”

But is there another side to social media than simply sharing information, pictures, videos, and messages? According to a survey done by the West Virginia Education Association, “American teenagers spend an "astounding" nine hours a day with digital technology, entertaining themselves with streaming video, listening to music and playing games…”

Because we are the first generation to experience this kind of attachment to a screen, or arguably any one object, there isn’t really any evidence to suggest that there would be long-term negative effects by using it. However, for me, it is hard to believe that spending that long staring at a single object, especially when you are sort of in a virtual world, would be completely harmless.

My story with this technology is somewhat different. I wanted a smartphone, like everyone else. There were two main reasons for wanting to acquire one, which somewhat relate to one another. One was that I wanted to use social media (particularly Snapchat and Instagram), and the other was simply to fit in with every other kid I knew or had seen. My parents, on the other hand, did not want me to have one, and they felt very strongly about that. I tried very hard to reason with them that it was fine, but the answer was always a firm “no.” But I also didn’t feel that comfortable nagging about it to them over and over about it, so I didn’t bring it up that often. After having one particular, long argument with my mom, I realized I was not going to get it by asking. So I turned to my friend, who sold me his old iPhone for $20. I didn’t really think about this decision, or how it would affect anything. I kept it secret for a while, scrolled through my Instagram and sent “streaks.”  

But was it worth it? Did I get a lot of satisfaction out of it? Social media for me, presents a paradox. I really don’t understand if I did or even if fully enjoy it now. I can’t deny that I get a tinge of excitement when I’m about to go on it and when I’m engaging in it. But when I turn it off, I don’t really think I became a happier person for that moment.

There is certainly evidence to show that social media is bad, in the way that people feel the need to share every thought they have, and appear perfect and happy in every photo. I notice that whenever I have it near me when I am doing homework, it takes me much longer to finish, and I am easily distracted. It encourages materialism, as well as distance from people who are actually physically near you.  I know that this is true on some level, because I have seen it and experienced it. In my opinion, materialism is a problem because I believe that there is so much value in not being obsessed with a certain object, and not feeding in to a capitalist society, as well as simply the fact that it is important to maintain a uniqueness within one’s self. I think that it’s obviously better to make social interactions with people who are actually present, as opposed to “talking” to people who are not.

So often I see a group of close friends that are physically near each other, all texting and staring at their phones, and I’m sure I have done that too. Honestly, I feel like this happens because we as a society have made it feel like it is easier to interact virtually instead of in person. If we keep this up, I think that our culture will be greatly changed in the way that we interact with one another, and not for the better. Another, more indirect way that social media has affected my life is when my parents found out that I had one, it created stress and awkwardness in the days that followed, and I’m sure they trust me a little less.

On the other hand, I believe having a smartphone and social media in particular has helped me somewhat in making new friends, and just fit in in general. I really do think that it has helped my social life in some ways, but perhaps at the expense of other aspects of it.

The solution is simple. Prioritize real relationships over streaks. Spend more time strolling with your friends, and less time scrolling with your friends. I just don’t understand why we have made it so hard to move away from this lifestyle.

Before I catch up on my Snapchats, I just want to say that I wish that we as a society had not created this artificial way of communication and interaction, that every single person I know has a smartphone, and that we make it almost impossible to be a semi-normal person without having one.