If I Were Mayor of My Town... | Teen Ink

If I Were Mayor of My Town...

I live in New York City, often referred to as the city that never sleeps, the Big Apple, and, when the trains are working, the greatest city in the world. But like many other major cities, New York deals with troubling amounts of poverty, crime, and prejudice, which becomes especially obvious as you move farther away from Manhattan.

If I were mayor of my town, I would do it to benefit those with nothing, not to further the lives of those who already possess everything. I’d work relentlessly to make my city a fairer, more equitable place. I’d make it my priority to give every child a quality education, regardless of the amount of money their parents make, or where they live. I would make sure that every poor kid with big dreams has access to the resources to achieve those dreams, in order to help them break the cycle of poverty that has so viciously trapped their family for generations. I would visit schools crumbling at the edges, with children filled with potential and no one to realize it, and underpaid, overworked teachers. I would tax the rich, and the people living in the luxury high-rises New York’s architects and developers are so fond of creating, and help the poor.

If I were mayor of my town, I would do it to show little girls- similar to the one I used to be (and sometimes still am)- that they can do it too. I would fund programs and activities for girls to pursue their interests and passions, even if they lie in male-dominated fields. If I were mayor, it would be for the girls with the big imaginations, hopes, and dreams, and the stars in their eyes- girls who will change the world one day but are too young to realize it. I would tell these girls that this is their world as much as anyone else’s, and if anyone tells them differently, they are wrong.

If I were mayor of my town, I would make housing more affordable, and develop high standards of living within neighborhoods. Many people living in New York pay much more than they can afford to, which ends up hurting them in the long run. And when you can find a decently priced apartment, it’s in a crime-riddled neighborhood or with five other roommates. Furthermore, I would hire staff to organize projects to develop green space and parks within areas and ask for citizens to help with community gardens. I would integrate public housing buildings into its surrounding neighborhood, instead of having it sticking out like a sore thumb and creating clear divisions between people.

If I choose to one day become mayor of my town, I would change it for the better. I would do it for the people, not for the money, power, or fame. I would do it for hard-working immigrants like my parents, or for children who wish for better; I would do it for those vulnerable and underrepresented in society. The reason New York City is one of the best cities in the world is not because of the skyscrapers, Central Park, or even the hot dogs- it is great because of New Yorkers, who all come from a different background, with a different story to tell. If I chose to become mayor, I would make sure every story is heard.