National Essay Writing Contest | Teen Ink

National Essay Writing Contest

By Madisonm2 BRONZE, Congers, New York
Madisonm2 BRONZE, Congers, New York

If I had power growing inside of me everyday, I think many tasks would be completed. The world is full of problems, hate, and fear. We live in a world so capable of love but we choose to hate and judge instead. I think an important factor of life is to accept other people and remain unbothered by another individual’s actions. In my town, we don’t always recognize this important  idea. We judge, we hate, and we don’t reflect upon our actions. Bullying is a huge issue in my town, within the school district. Imagine coming home to your children everyday and asking how school is and they respond with “good.” In reality, the thoughts spinning in their minds are too complex and worrisome to tell their own parents. We need a change. We need children to be comfortable in their schools or community,  and not worry about being judged or discriminated.

An idea of the cause of harassment and bullying is because we learn to hate. You are born filled with love, then you learn hate while you grow up. I’d suggest teaching children more about how to love, rather than forcing them to go to school surrounded by fear. When love grows through the hallways of schools and dwells within the classrooms, it is comforting to students and teachers. We could set up programs that people can go into schools and communicate to students that it’s not okay to hate their peers. We need to teach children and explain how valuable it is to be unbothered by other people and to allow everyone to live their life in peace.

Another problem that is present in schools, not just within my community but across the country,  is anxiety and stress. Teenagers go home and spend hours upon hours doing homework and studying. It’s actually statistically proven that teenagers currently spend more time with their parents at home, than going out of the house. Teenagers receive very little sleep at night due to the amount of work they’re required to do. We are sleep deprived, we’ve developed anxiety because of the pressure we are under (which potentially leads to depression.) We are so focused on receiving a “good” grade that we no longer retain any information. We no longer strive to be educated but we strive to pass a test.

If I were in charge of the school district in my town, I would require all schools and classes to use a newly introduced idea called a “flipped classroom.” A flipped classroom is when teachers give students easier, or less stressful, homework that introduces them to an upcoming lesson. This solution is truly very clever because students have less work, which means less stress and more sleep (making us healthier), and allowing students to understand the lesson before they are taught it. Therefore, they retain more information and receive a stronger education. This plan will allow students to strive to learn, instead of striving to pass.

When these issues are solved, our future generations will be educated to love each other and remain unbothered by obstacles within their lives. Stress, anxiety, and depression will decrease within the schools and relieve stress all throughout the community. When the community is united, we develop a stronger bond between one another. We need changes, and I, for one, would be willing to act upon them.

I live in Rockland County, NY. This essay is reflecting the current issues within my community. Please always keep an open-mind towards new ideas to create a better enviornment for future generations.