Too Much Homework | Teen Ink

Too Much Homework

By alexisthebest BRONZE, Houston , Texas
alexisthebest BRONZE, Houston , Texas

Homework has been around for almost a thousand years and it always helps kids around the world with school, it gives them a refresh about a certain topic at home. But in the recent years, the amount of homework receive by children in K-12 grade are increasing at a tremendous rate, thus resulting in health problems such as sleep deprivation and stress, and not only that, too much homework can affect and child’s childhood, example lack of free time and family issues. The US doesn’t have the best educational system, not because of their intellect, but because the larger amount of homework receive by children today.

A survey was done, with 10 high-performing high schools, including over four thousand students. “56 percent of the students considered homework as a primary source of stress”(Stanford News). Stress can affect a person not only with the body but with a person's mood. Stress can cause “headaches, exhaustion, sleep deprivation weight loss and stomach problems”(Stanford News). I also conducted a survey with series of questions, with one including “Does homework stress you out? with almost 21% of the students who took the survey, saying that homework stresses them out “all the time”, and 32%, saying it stresses them out “often” and 30% stresses them our “ every once in awhile”. Stress can also cause anxiety, anger bursts, depressions, and sleep deprivation.
Talking about sleep deprivation, sleep deprivation is an effect caused by homework. Over the past decades, the amount of homework has been increasing rapidly. Think of this analogy, native people are the majority of this landmass, let’s call that sleep, and then a small portion of that land belongs to explorers and colonist, let’s call homework. Now, over decades, more and more explorers and colonist, or homework, come into the land that belongs to native people and take them. What happens is, that the people who are native to the land are now smaller, and now there are more colonist and less native land. This means the native people, or sleep has less land for themselves, in other words, with more homework, less sleep. I conducted and survey with a series of questions, one including “How many hours do you spend doing homework on a weekly basis?”, with over 40% of them spending more than 5 hours doing homework on a weekly basis, therefore the students have less sleep, resulting in sleep deprivation. Some of the effects of sleep deprivation are hallucinations, high blood pressure, memory loss, weak immune system, an increase in weight and depressions.

The amount of homework received by students today is higher than those in twenty through thirty years ago. A survey was done in 1981, and on children, six through eight years old, who was giving homework on any day,  was 34%, but escalate nearly to 60% percent in 1997, and up to 64% in 2002. I conducted a survey of 7th and 8th graders around my location, with series of questions and one of those questions was, “Do you think you're getting too much or too little homework?” with more than half of them saying that they are getting “too much”.
Homework also affects a child's behavior. With an excessive amount of homework, there is less time for extracurricular activities or free time in general. Not only that homework is a big issue at home. A survey was done with over 1200 parents whose children are between K-12 grade had a serious talk or argument about homework that included “yelling or screaming”. According to The Homework Myth, when a parent tries to help their kids on homework, it only creates more tensions, especially for the kids.  Also, according to The Homework Myth, some of the effects of “too much homework” is that a “kid losses cheer, self-confidence, sleep, and in extreme cases, childhood”.

In conclusion, in rising amount of homework are affecting kids, with health, mental, and behavior problems. In order to end this, I suggest to trim homework by half and a set up a new system that won’t allow teachers to give a project to their students if he/she is working on another project for another class in order to reduce stress and health problem, and get exercise. With this in mind, this new system can pump up the US up to the top five best school system in the world.

on May. 17 2017 at 3:18 pm
LordWich BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Not only that, but the distribution of homework throughout the grades is horrible. You barely do anything in grade school, than is suddenly receiving packets.

Stroodle235 said...
on May. 17 2017 at 1:59 pm
Stroodle235,
I agree with your thoughts on homework and our social lives

ThuNguyen said...
on May. 17 2017 at 1:52 pm
ThuNguyen, Houston, Texas
I know right like sometimes I am only living on a hour of sleep or no sleep at all.

on May. 17 2017 at 1:38 pm
Oswaldo_Ponce BRONZE, Houston, Texas
I agree with you that students are getting too much homework. Teachers are giving students homework knowingly that the students have projects in other classes. Some students just spend most of their time at home doing homework or finishing a project. Some students even stay up past 12:00 am just to finish. By doing this is causes students to get less sleep and also spend less time with family and more time with something a teacher assigned to them.

on May. 17 2017 at 1:33 pm
1LonelyRose BRONZE, Houston, Texas
I feel like if school isn't for studying, then home shouldn't be for school work.

on May. 17 2017 at 1:09 pm
RawanAljaouni BRONZE, Houston, Texas
i agree. homework is given in great amounts. many people say procrastination is why we complain, and yes procrastination does play a big part, but at the same time it is a lot for us. But we procrastinate because we need time away from school. we need time to talk with each other, have fun, use technology, and be social. we cannot take away all of that time for homework, because having a social life can improve our mental health, while being bombarded with work ruins it.

on May. 17 2017 at 12:59 pm
PeterCao BRONZE, Houston, Texas
I don't really have a problem with getting too much homework as it doesn't stress me out, but those around me seem to be affected by the enormous amount of work.

StyLish said...
on May. 17 2017 at 12:59 pm
StyLish,
Homework rates have changed a lot and it is a problem for our generation. Students these days go through depression and not enough sleep because of too much homework. I agree with your topic and government should take actions.

Xdragon said...
on May. 17 2017 at 12:19 pm
Xdragon,
Great article, and I fully agree with it's content. I really believe that teachers and the educational system itself doesn't truly understand the pressure and stress that homework inflicts on us.

on May. 17 2017 at 10:42 am
CharltonBibbII,
I definitely agree with this topic on too much homework because my parents think I am lying when I tell them it takes 3-5 hours to finish all my homework and this article has the statistics of the amount of time of just a 9 year old in 1997 think of how it is for a 13 year old in 2017

nango said...
on May. 17 2017 at 10:31 am
nango, Houston, Texas
Some students receive so much homework they are forced to procrastinate like GT students. And some people need to spend time with their family, and homework takes that away from students.

lynnsnguyen said...
on May. 17 2017 at 10:18 am
lynnsnguyen, Houston, Texas
I talked to the counselor about this, and she thinks it is all about time management. I would have to agree that time management in your life makes things easier, but I can't exactly say that time on our hands when all this homework is given to us. I would have to agree, homework is a big factor to teen's emotions nowadays but I can't say it is the only factor to sleep deprivation and depression.

K.Dang said...
on May. 17 2017 at 10:14 am
K.Dang, Houston, Texas
In my personal opinion, I think a lot of students are stressed and overwhelmed by homework because they procrastinate and push it aside until the last minute. But a lot of students struggle to find a balance between working and playing outside of school, so we need to fix our priorities.

ASLanguage said...
on May. 17 2017 at 10:14 am
ASLanguage, Houston, Texas
Yes, I agree! Too much homework overwhelms students, which leads to stress and depression. Us students thinks if we don't finish it, we would get a bad grade, but if we work on it, we would loose the time to do other activities that involves time with our families. I believe homework keeps us away from everything: time with family, not receiving or reaching out to our own potential.

Sugars said...
on May. 17 2017 at 10:11 am
Sugars, Houston, Texas
I agree with you on how teenagers like us are having way too much homework that we barely get enough hours to sleep and it makes us very moody!

LanTo BRONZE said...
on May. 17 2017 at 10:10 am
LanTo BRONZE, Houston, Texas
I agree because homework does affect all the students. Personally, homework does help us students, but if there is too much, then students can become overwhelmed as well as loose their motivation for school.

on May. 17 2017 at 10:03 am
Carsafety BRONZE, Houston, Texas
I agree because the more homework we get the more sleep we lose which affects us from doing regular school work and so I believe that if they could cut down the homework hours we would get better grades

on May. 17 2017 at 9:59 am
KimberlyNgo BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Yes, us students are receiving too much hw. My moods are getting worse and I easily get angry or annoyed nowadays.