What Is Being Done? | Teen Ink

What Is Being Done?

By erinmlynch SILVER, Avon Lake, Ohio
erinmlynch SILVER, Avon Lake, Ohio

"What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable." - John Green

I don't hate school because I'm "a teenager". I hate school because everyday I have to go through seven hours of schooling where the teachers only make you feel worthless? And who wants to be bullied and harassed by the people you have to spend your teenage years with, especially when the school system does nothing to stop the harassment? And who wants to spend the youngest years of their life taking tests to determine where they will be for the rest of their life? And who wants to go to a place where creativity means nothing, and all you can do is memorize everything?

You know something is wrong with the school system when 14 year olds are being diagnosed with anxiety issues, depression, eating disorders, and social issues by the millions. Adolescence is hard enough to deal with on your own – throwing you into a school where you are made to feel like a failure doesn’t help the situation.

Are adults too blind to see that children and teens are committing suicide and torturing themselves because of bullying and stress at school? That children are taking their own lives because they leave school feeling like a failure? That teens rely on the youngest years of their lives, to be successful when they are oldest? If not, then why is nothing being done?

I know their will be mixed opinions about this piece but I felt that it was appropriate to share my opinion about schooling systems.

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

This is EXACTLY how I feel all the time. Everyone thinks that because I'm a smart straight A student I love being around the people who make my life terrible. I hope this gets published int he magazine for the sheer raw truth of it all. It is very ridiculous that people are being diagnosed woth these mental instabilities like ptsd and anxiety and depression. Contrary to popular belief, these are not teenage illnesses. Our age group can't handle the stress they bear, and in grievous instances they take their life. Thank you for sharing this with the world.

Elisa99 said...
I agree with you so strongly. It's so sad what happens at school, and the teachers only realize the bullying after the person has six feet of dirt over them.

erinmlynch SILVER, Avon Lake, Ohio

Thank you for the advice! It really helps me become a writer and I love hearing from all of the readers. But I actually meant to put "oldest" because it represents the rest of your life and where you will be when you retire, if that makes any sense. :-)

.king. SILVER said...
.king. SILVER, Yeux Bien Tres Bien, Other

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

I agree about the depression part. "Who wants to spend... tests to determine where they will be" I don't think most people want to end up homeless on the side of the street. "I hate school...make you feel worthless?" That's not a question. "..to be successful when they are oldest?" *Older. There I hope I helped, this is a good piece I like the way you got the massage through, Good Job keep writing! :)