Homework Stress | Teen Ink

Homework Stress

By patrick13 BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona
patrick13 BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona

Every day teachers hand out homework to kids expecting them to do it once they get home and drop everything they had planned to do their homework. 86% of kids at schools at least get one missing assignment per month some have a lot more. I believe teachers should talk out what assignments before they give them out. Lots of the time teachers give out homework in every class not even caring about what the homework other teachers gave us. Just last week I was the most stressed that I have ever been in my life. Our teacher gave us four projects to do in two weeks! I did little on the first week because I like to go outside and play with my friends. When the last week came I stopped meeting my friends, I didn’t go downstairs and out of my room to socialize with my family because I had to stay in my room and do homework. When you talk to your parents they usally say they were always outside playing but in today’s world homework stops that from kids playing. This causes obesity.

The other subject I don’t like about schools is tests. We write words that are on the bored into our notebooks for tests and not knowing what we are writing down. The problem is some teachers think if they write something on the bored students will remember it for a lifetime. The teachers that get kids to have an A in their class are the good ones. They always teach the kids what the subject is and this makes it a lot less stressful for the students, and even the teachers. The teachers are happier about their students and their teaching ability. Teachers should learn that if a lot of students get A’s in their classes then they are doing a good job. Some teachers think that they are doing well if they have a couple of kids working their buts off to get an A and the rest D’s and F’s. If teachers do that then only few students of that class are learning new things and the rest are failing and not being able to learn new things.

If teachers of the world understood the stress of students and remember when they were little maybe they would teach kids better. When kids think what they last learned two months ago its hard because school is based off learning short term memory subjects to pass a test. I cannot remember what I learned about the Egyptians because it was all based off short term memory. Teachers need to learn to help us learn instead of writing things out of the book and making us study things we do not understand.

This is what todays teachers are like. There are good teachers out there but in todays time thery are very rare. We want to learn, no to fail in life

terminator said...
Ugh iagree wit everyone. Homework is just a waste of time and its da same thing. Why don't we just do the work at school instead of stressing about it during your free time??!!

it is not good because  it tries you out

awesomness said...

I agree but i do have a strategy

if u wake up earlier youll have time

2 do some of youre HW so you can

do less  when you get home and

doing some HW in the morning

wakes u up

So since I actually do my homework, does that mean I am a noob?

I'm going to have to agree with you. It seems like now and days all of my teachers expect me to focus on just their homework and class, and not the other classes. I think teachers need to be a lot more flexible about homework and stop expecting the kids at my school to just focus on their class.

bookworm1 GOLD said...
bookworm1 GOLD, Ticonderoga, New York

Laugh your heart out. Dance in the rain. Cherish the morning. Ignore the pain. Live, Laugh, Love. Forgive and Forget. Life's too short to be living with regrets.
Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done. Amelia Earhart

I agre. Sometimes it seems like teachers think we have nothing better to do than to sit around writing sentences in French or proving triangle 1 equal to triangle 2.

id rather play mw2 or black ops then do some nooby boring homework and its for noobs ya homework is for noobs

ChingChong said...
homework be gettin on my nerves all dayy ! i will be havin fball pracc lke right after skoo and then when i get home i can even relax i have to do my darn homework . now i also have bball so i really have to rush to get this done . i think that if yuh play a sport yuh shood receive less homework than ppl who dhont play anythin b/c ppl w/ sports have less time and always have to rush to do stuff . in my opinioonnnnnnn

babygirlinthetardis BRONZE, Snaith, Other
1 article 1 photo 14 comments
Totally, I have teachers that give me two lots of homework on the same day just because they can - not to mention coursework (aka - hellish essays on Far From the Madding Crowd) - and exam revision because my school like fast tracking us even though we can't cope because we don't have time to finish the work!!! Half the time I don't take anything in, and speaking of I have a test tomorrow on electricity, and I don't understand a word of the stuff I'm supposed to know and get an A* in tomorrow morning! 

maria said...
on May. 26 2010 at 4:58 am

I agree with this topyc, because I'm living everyday and how does it feel when the teachers send you to much homework. Everyday we have a lot of homework, but we haven´t got only homework, because also we have to do project and study for the exams.

It is horrible when you come back to the school at 5.30, you have to study a lot, do the homework... The teachers didn't remember their time in the school, because they send a lot of homework, and if the teacher is angry send you more. You don't have another option so you do all the thingd that send you for the next day, but when you correct in the class you have all bad and it's for nothien, because you don't learn nothing. Everyday is the same, you did and after you don't learn notihing, and supossedly you did the homework for learn, but this not happens.

I like a lot this article, because it explain exactly how you feel.

Angela Juaan :) xDD

maria said...
on May. 26 2010 at 4:57 am
I'm agree with this article and with you juan, i also like tu mention that i'm also form SEVILLE! :D

angela said...
on May. 26 2010 at 4:51 am
eii juaan! :) I support you!

juan said...
on May. 26 2010 at 4:45 am

I am from seville in spain :)

answer me

juan said...
on May. 26 2010 at 4:43 am
SUMMARY I think that this text talks about a very important topic: The stress of homework I agree with this topic because I am a student and I know how does it feel when the teachers send you to much homework , you feel stressed and you trye to do all of the homework that teachers send you but at the end you do it bad so you dont learn anything and you get confused. This text talks about teachers that send too much homework without minding that other teachers have already send more homework and you finally have a enormus pile of homework that you have to do , it also sugest some solutions to solve this problem such as that the teachers talk before sending the homework and decide what they are going to send so it isnt a big ammount of it. The text also mentions that the teachers think that by sending homework the students are going to learn more , but actually is the opposite because the students learn more when the techers explain the subject that when they send us homework. I think that this article is great because it explains exactly how does a student feels in the school.

SpaceKing800 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey

"We especially need imagination in science. It is not all mathematics, nor all logic, but is somewhat beauty and poetry"- Maria Mitchell

Ah... A fellow Homework Revolutionary, I see? Good work!

Take a look at my article and we can compare our essays. It's the start of a new era of education, I say.

TeenInk.com/opinion/school_college/article/117538/The-Homework-Revolution

Heather Decker, Hillsdale, New York
i would most defiantly love to print this out and read it to the board of education at my school. Your totally right when you said that teachers expect you to drop everything right then and there to do the work they assign you, like that sheet is the most important thing in the world. I know it's very difficult to juggle a busy schedule, especially in high school when you have sport practice till 5 or a game and you don't get home till 8 or later at night! along with the extra after-school activites and stuff, its ridiclous what we're expected to do. great write :)

mike=big said...
i just plain old dont like homework because its boring and takes away from time when i could be doing somthing else.

xhiddeninsomniax SILVER, North Syracuse, New York
"homework stops that from kids playing. This causes obesity." that was the best thing I've read all day. That is so so so true and the way you said it made me laugh. you brought up some really good points here and I agree with you completely.

Schubster said...
I definately agree with this. My county's school system is so screwed up and GOOD teachers ARE rare to find!