Literature and the Modern Generation | Teen Ink

Literature and the Modern Generation

By Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

On the corner of an ignored bookshelf of an untidy study, there slept a novel, the cover of which was stained with dust. Its pages pregnant with words of wisdom and sentences of creativity have started browning as a result of it being neglected.

The younger generation that finds solace as their fingers run through their mobile phone that generates the tapping sound and vibration and navigate the boundless limits of quantum technology, are descendants of their ancestors who ran their fingers through pages of epic stories.

In the past, literature was considered a form of emotion itself-a timeless, boundless wonder and the room for knowledge to pass on with the essence of one generation to another. But as technology developed, information technology stole the place of literature itself, hence dominating the younger generation, causing addiction to itself and parting from literature.

Due to being as flashy as a magnetic attraction, the increase of digital assets that give many opportunities for cyber activities such as gaming, music, education and so forth, it is no surprise that the younger generation has fallen under the spell of cyber assets, hence, being a part of cyber addiction. On the other hand, the usage of literary assets requires patience, attentiveness and understanding which the younger generation lacks.

As a point to ponder, the gap between literature and the younger generation must be connected by the cyber bridge. The touch-sensitive glass skin of their mobile phones must have the beautiful poems, dramas and proses their ancestors grew up reading, as they scroll and swipe across it, as a digital form of literary contexts. After all, literature is a wilting plant and cyber facilities can be its only source of water.

Wrote it as an assignment...