Why Block Scheduling for Schools is a Bad Idea | Teen Ink

Why Block Scheduling for Schools is a Bad Idea

November 10, 2023
By Psiwildcat BRONZE, Knoxville, Tennessee
Psiwildcat BRONZE, Knoxville, Tennessee
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food" ~~ Jim Davis


Imagine missing school for one day because you have a cold; suddenly, it’s as if you missed two days, and your class is now far ahead. This scenario captures the essence of block scheduling—a system that reimagines the traditional school day by organizing classes into extended time blocks. First conceived by J. Lloyd Trump in 1959, block scheduling aimed to “eliminate” rigid schedules and introduce flexibility. Today, proponents champion it for increased one-on-one time, reduced homework, and a sharper focus on core subjects. However, beneath these benefits lie potential drawbacks, particularly for students in subjects like Math, History, or Science, where continuity matters. For those who struggle with attention or time management, block scheduling can pose significant challenges.

The first main reason why we should reconsider block scheduling is its impact on continuity. In this system, teachers have only half the year to cover their subjects, resulting in class periods that are doubled in length (from 45 minutes to 90). While longer periods may seem advantageous, they come with challenges.

With jam-packed information, teachers often find themselves racing through lessons. Students who already struggle to keep up may find this pace overwhelming. The extended class time doesn't necessarily translate to deeper understanding; instead, it can lead to superficial coverage.

Also, block scheduling disrupts the daily rhythm of learning. If a student misses a day, they're missing the equivalent of nearly two days when compared to the traditional 45-minute class schedule. This lack of daily reinforcement affects retention and comprehension.

Next, falling behind without missing a day is a real concern. Students who struggle to grasp concepts may lose confidence and feel inadequate. The system inadvertently stacks the odds against their ability to learn.

Finally, it should be mentioned as to what happens if someone’s schedule skips over an essential class, such as math, English, or science for a year. The student will learn for two semesters semi-okay. But the moment where they stop taking the class, they gradually forget the information. When you go an entire year without studying, you lose a lot of the knowledge you gathered. When you finally go to the next class which is supposed to build on top of the one you barely remember, it's only natural that you have a hard time keeping up.

In all, while block scheduling aims to provide benefits, its impact on continuity can hinder effective learning. A sustainable approach should balance flexibility with consistent reinforcement, which block scheduling fails to do.


The author's comments:

I've been taking math tutoring this year when I'm not scheduled for it at my school. It's a bit frustrating to forget everything in between classes.