Last Year | Teen Ink

Last Year

By OisheeB BRONZE, Cupertino, California
OisheeB BRONZE, Cupertino, California

My piece is mostly based on a quickwrite exercise we did a few weeks ago about "the tree outside." In this piece, I've tried to use the tree as a metaphor, comparing the time I have left here at Kennedy with the tree's various stages. The tree becomes a sort of timer, marking the passing of time.I liked the part at the end where I finished with the flushing toilets.

Just as the toilets flush, time does too. Each day means an older version of myself. The last time I paid really close attention to my classes (until today) was in my first year of middle school. I had just moved districts and had arrived here only 10 days before school started. I think it being Greek myth presentations in room 6 that really made me question my time here. 

Now, I pay attention when necessary, earn good grades that would make Indian parents proud, and I hope I'm a kind person. Right at the beginning of the year I remember watching the tip of that tree, positioned right in the middle of  the two bathrooms, turn dark orange and yellow while the rest of the tree remains green.I wished for it to turn completely orange, red, and yellow, and then shed its leaves to signal the end of the year. It seems like I might have jinxed myself.

Like almost everyone else, I've looked forward to high school. However, now that I'm in 8th grade and see how quickly the year is passing, along with the heavy workload, especially if you're in room 17 and 14, I'd rather relive my entire middle school experience than move on to high school. Because soon, I'll have to think about college applications, taking AP classes, developing a strong work ethic, managing my time, and practicing patience. I don't really want to, but I have to, because before long, I'll hear the toilets flush for the last time, marking the end of my middle school life.

I tried to talk about my middle school experience in the past and how the future is most likely going to look like for me. I tried to show this using a tree we have in my school. I compared it to how time passes by with the various stages of the tree throughout the year. Starting from green to becoming all of red, orange, and yellow to loosing all it's leaves.