Gifted Programs are Overrated | Teen Ink

Gifted Programs are Overrated

When you send off a child to school, you expect two things; That a child will be met by a teacher and given equal opportunity to learn and grow through their studies. This is not always the case. Children are already being evaluated and separated into labels based on their academic performance for Gifted and Talented programs before they have even reached double digits. These programs offer specialized education, opportunities, and pathways for students identified as having talent. This program comes with the promise that students will be able to reach their full academic potential through this program. However, Gifted programs ultimately are overrated due to the absence of logical criteria for “giftedness” and the resulting division of opportunity as well as self-esteem experienced by students not labeled as ‘gifted’.
The main reason why gifted programs are overrated is due to the absence of clear standards for identifying “giftedness”. Separating students into groups of gifted or talented is usually up to their teacher and is entirely subjective. One teacher may consider a gifted student someone who seems to be exceptional in their studies with little effort. Another teacher may consider a gifted student someone who is hardworking and dedicated. Based on whatever flawed reasoning is used, students are separated into labels that may follow them throughout their entire academic career. A student considered not “gifted” may view this as unchangeable and may choose to give up on academics before they even reach middle school. Moreover, can giftedness even be accurately determined within the limits of a classroom? There are several famous examples of academic achievement and giftedness is not always intertwined. Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, and Sir Isaac Newton, all known “prodigies” and pioneers in their respective fields, struggled in grade school; Furthermore, modern examples such as Steve Jobs, Stephen Hawking, and John Gurdon all illustrate the same paradox. Individuals who struggle early in school may ultimately achieve noteworthy achievements. This does not argue that there is an inverse relationship between early academic achievement and a successful career; in turn, it argues that there may not be a relationship at all.
Another reason why gifted programs are overrated is because they undermine the accomplishments of students labeled as not gifted, denying them access to opportunities. This may include advanced programs where students are able to explore special interests and fields early. But why should this only be available to a select group of students? All students should be given the opportunity to explore their own special interests and the chance to challenge themselves and see what they can do. Limiting opportunity this way perpetuates already prevalent socio-economic disparities. Students from low-income and minority backgrounds will often lack access to the resources they need to achieve. Additionally, “non-gifted” students may develop lower self-esteem and an overall negative self-image of themselves when compared to their peers. This self-image may be confirmed by their teacher’s bias, who may be prone to disregard the education of students omitted from these programs.
Some people may argue that gifted programs allow students to see their potential early and give them the confidence to push themselves to excel in their academics. But this is not the case. Carol Dweck, an American psychologist and researcher, found that students who are praised for being intelligent instead of hard working, a common practice in gifted programs, are more likely to develop a fixed mindset. In this instance, gifted students may grow up thinking that not only are they naturally smart, but they are naturally smarter than other students. Her research has illustrated that the entire concept of gifted employs a fixed mindset, a mindset where you believe your intelligence or capability is unchangeable, whether you are considered gifted or not. This simply will not always be the case. When a gifted student’s academic capabilities are finally challenged, it can be like hitting a wall. This can cause a student to lose confidence in their abilities or they may believe that they have reached the peak of their abilities. This can be detrimental to their well-being, which is often overlooked. Some teachers often use grades as a judge for a student’s well-being. This is why studies have shown students in these programs are more likely to have issues ranging from mental health disorders to learning disabilities that go under the radar. Not to mention, gifted students may be pressured to pursue certain fields or careers that align with their abilities. This may deter them from exploring other interests and passions.
Regardless of how a student presents themselves in terms of academic abilities, there should never be division. Gifted and Talented programs promote this division by separating students into groups based on unreasonable standards and only offering students deemed gifted better opportunities. Academic success is always changing since it is more dependent on a student’s effort. It should be up to the students whether or not they want to challenge themselves academically. Either way, all students should be encouraged to challenge themselves.