Should homework be banned in school? | Teen Ink

Should homework be banned in school?

By marcel_montalvo123 BRONZE, Monterey, Other
marcel_montalvo123 BRONZE, Monterey, Other

Homework should not be banned but reduced. Over-asking students to do more homework just leads to more problems. Some of these problems are stress, increased risk of mental and physical health issues which include anxiety and depression. Over-asking students to do more homework can also lead to an increased number of lowered test scores in various school subjects which include Math and Science. Over-asking students to do more homework just leads to more problems instead of better things happening.

Overworking on homework or doing more homework than recommended can lead to physical issues, a ton of stress, and sleep deprivation.“Higher-achieving students — those who may have more homework — are at particular risk for stress-related health issues including sleep deprivation, weight loss, stomach problems, and headaches. “ Weight loss then leads to malnutrition and then it affects how the human body engrosses or absorbs the nutrients in the human body. Now sleep deprivation is more serious. The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) said this about sleep deprivation. Sleep deficiency is linked to many chronic health problems, including heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, and depression.” They also said that sleep inadequacy is connected to a higher chance of injury in kids and teenagers. As you can see, over-assigning homework is not just some silly topic. This is actually serious and we need to act fast and act now. All these negative effects happen when you over-assign homework and there aren’t many benefits to it either. Middle schoolers don’t benefit at all because in some cases they get lower test scores even while doing more homework. GoodRx. health reported that some middle schoolers get lower test scores by saying this. “In middle school, more than 90 minutes of homework is linked with lower test scores in math and science. “ Taking care of students should be priority number 1 and reducing homework is a way to get rid of stress, anxiety, sleep deprivation, weight loss, and more things that homework affects.

Should homework be banned in school?

In high schools, asking for too much homework leads to personal problems with students. “In high school, too much homework (more than 2 hours) is linked with increased risk for physical and mental health issues, such as anxiety and depression.”Well, this is one of the reasons that we should not ban homework but instead reduce it. Anxiety and depression are no joke because every year “Persons with anxiety/depression died 7.9 years earlier than other persons. At a population level, 3.5% of deaths were attributable to anxiety/depression.” Homework leads to depression/anxiety because it leads them on another path and that path is not social. Uclpartnerseducation.com said “Homework steals all the attention and spare time. Eventually, it puts students on the path of social reclusiveness, which would sooner or later tell on their mental and emotional balance.” This means that homework is one of the main reasons why kids, and teenagers have less of a social life. High School students who have never owned their own house, or their own car and have never even been a little tiny bit independent should not be dealing with these types of anxiety and depression levels when they can’t even handle their own social life.

Students that are over-assigned homework cheat or are more likely tempted to cheat than others. The University of San Diego did some studies on over-assigning homework. They found this, “Parents who are sympathetic to their children’s stress levels (or desire to see their child succeed) may complete their homework for them.” This means that children would not learn a single thing and there is no point in assigning that child homework when he/she is not going to learn a single thing about the topic because his/her parent(s) are doing this for them. The University of San Diego also found this “Under pressure to finish at-home assignments, many students resort to copying others’ work, plagiarizing or using creative tech “hacks” in order to hand something in.” These studies were based on “The Chronicle of Education’” which is very invested in the research of homework. If teachers reduced the quantity of homework, maybe kids wouldn't copy someone else or even have their parents do it. Reducing homework can lead to a variety of good things and a reduced number of cheating is one of them. Cheating or using hacks is a primary source that young people get away with and leads to nothing. Assigning more homework leads to cheating, which then leads to bad results which then leads to a terrible academic life. Over-assigning homework leads to more problems, imagine it like placing a couple of dominos in a row, when you knock one down the other ones get knocked down on their own. This is the same with homework, when teachers over-assign homework then it leads to sleep deprivation, stress, anxiety, depression, cheating, weight loss, and all the other things that were mentioned in the paragraphs. If the first domino is knocked down the others will be too. Homework should not be banned but reduced. Teachers, don’t knock the first domino down.

this problem need to be fix