Summer Bummer | Teen Ink

Summer Bummer

By tksalerno BRONZE, Lisbon, Wisconsin
tksalerno BRONZE, Lisbon, Wisconsin

I haven’t always looked forward to summer, but I think this summer is going to change that.

Summer–the one season that pale people dread. That being said, my complexion does not bode well with the sun. Sizzle sizzle sizzle, that’s my skin burning when the UV index is two. My family always jokes that I belong in the Cullen family from Twilight, but that joke is actually scarily accurate. My “super paleness” makes me stay inside during the summer in fear of a sunburn. Staying. Inside. During. The. Summer. If that sounds ridiculous to you that is because it is, one-hundred percent. So, whenever I do actually venture outside, you can’t actually see me because all you see is a blinding white glow that has blinded everyone in the tri-state area. That surely doesn’t help the vampire accusations. 

The one thing that I do look forward to about summer is spending more time with my family. The problem is that my extended family is like the Brady Bunch times one-thousand, and they all live in different states. Even when we do make time during the summer to see family, someone is always left out because there is no possible way to see everyone at once. So, I’ll take what I can get knowing that this August we are going back to Rochester to look at colleges. Here's this, my dad’s cousin’s ex-wife is a photographer and I want her to do my senior pictures while we are visiting. If that sounds awkward, I know. But hey, I’m excited for senior year and what better way to kickstart it than getting my senior pictures done? She’ll just have to suck it up.

So, while I’m leaning on a fence and my mom and Tressa are debating what flowers I should pose with to match my dress, I might as well soak up some of the sun. If it results in a nasty sunburn that leaves me looking like a tomato, who cares? At least I’m getting some vitamin D.

Tia is a Wisconsin high school student