View on dreams and thoughts | Teen Ink

View on dreams and thoughts

DMT with Dreams

Dreams are crazy things yk… at one point in your dream you’ll be in the car, walking to the bus station, and somehow you’re naked with Versaci on; then when you end up at the library you walk up the elevator and end up in your basement. DMT is a psychedelic drug and is prepared by various cultures for ritual purposes as an entheogen. It is a drug that you smoke; and once you do it’s a euphoric experience, and some people claim to see themselves as different beings and show them in different forms. Also, people claim to talk to God like figures that give them guidance. DMT naturally occurs in many species of plants, and some animals. DMT is also thought to be released naturally in the human body. DMT is released during your birth and during your death; which is what may be responsible for some people’s “mystical” near death experiences. However, these are not the only times our bodies naturally release DMT. Scientists believe the pineal gland produces DMT in the brain, and releases it when you sleep; which is what I believe causes your crazy dreams. 

School to Work Ratio 

On average schools have 2 semesters with 18 weeks each, or 4 quarters with 9n weeks each. So multiply 36 by 5 and you have 180. So you go to school about 180 days a year (give or take snow days or holidays like MLK Day, Veteran’s Day, and so on). 

You usually go to school for 9 periods, or classes that last about 45 minutes each which equals 6 ¾ hours of school a day. So that amount of time multiplied by 5 school days in a week. Which is 33 ¾ hours a week you spend at school; and that is excluding all the time you spend on the bus and between classes.

For the whole year you’d be going to school for 1,215 hours. Most of you go to school for at least 13 years or more; so you have gone to school for 15,795 hours. Which is almost 2 straight years of non stop school.

Now, imagine if you put all that time into a paying form of work… even working for minimum wage, you would still make tons of money. The average minimum wage over the past 13 years is about $8.28 per hour. So 15,795 hours multiplied by $8.28 is $130,782.60. Therefore, if you worked instead of going to school you would have well over 6 figures before turning 18. 

Yes, I understand that you need an education, but the government requirement for hours of school per year is 455 hours of school for kindergarteners. 910 hours of school for students in grades 1-6; and 1,001 hours of school for students in grades 7-12. So, if you went to school for the amount required by the government. Then, you could put the extra time you are at school into a paying job. You would make $6,292.80 in kindergarten, $15,152.40 from 1st-6th grade, and $10,631.52 from grades 7-12. Which comes to a grand total of $32,076.72. Which is about ¼ of what we’d make if we were to trade all of our school hours to work; but this also shows you how much extra time we go to school that is not required. Which brings me to… why do we have a set amount of snow days if we are already going, on average 44 more days than we have to; but that's a story for another day.

Colors

There’s no scientific proof that our brains all see colors the same way. So, your orange could look like your blue to someone else but they would still correlate the color they are seeing with the word orange; because they would depict the color they are seeing with the word orange because that's all they’ve ever known that color they are seeing to be called. Too much? Let me do my best to explain. 

For example, let's say you don’t know any names of colors and you don’t even know the meaning of the word color; and you go to preschool and the teacher tells you what a color is and then proceeds to hold up this vibrant piece of paper. Everyone in that class is seeing the same paper, but they could each see it as a different color; but then the teacher tells the class “this piece of paper is the color known as red”. So now, every time you see something with that same pigment you associate it with the word “red”. Even though it may have a completely different pigment, or look to another person. That's what’s crazy, because other people could see red a whole different way then you see red entirely. Because when that teacher held up the “red” paper another classmate may have seen the “red” paper the same way you saw the “blue” paper the teacher held up.

31

Thirty-one

Thirty-one minutes to my comfort

Thirty-one minutes to my adoration

To my warmth 

To my intimacy

To my trusted love

Thirty-one minutes to my heart

Space and Time

Through space and time I pledge to you

We will be bound as one

Coiled, twisted, infused with one another

Sweared to never entangle

I leave with you my heart

We melt into one pulse

I vow to you through space and time that 

I will sacrifice myself to you 

I will love you with pleasure…

Not till my expiration…

But instead love you in my soul well after

What Determines Our Dreams

I believe everything happens for a reason; and I believe dreams happen for a reason. I think your dream depicts your mood, and what you do during that day because your dream sets your mood right when you wake up because dreaming whatever dream it was is what's on your mind at the start of the day. 

Also, I believe dreams happen for a reason because it’s basically like a “Call of Duty” custom game. In “Call of Duty” custom games, you can try out new guns and strategies with no risk in decreasing your user rank or K/D ratio. So, that being said, I feel like whenever you do something in your dream, your dream is showing you how it would play out if you were to do these things you do in your dreams in real life. In a way I believe our dreams self consciously help us out for real world experiences. They teach us what to do and what not to do in real life by giving us a “sneak peak” of what the effect will be when we dream. For example, say you steal something from a store in your dream and then a policeman starts chasing you and tackles you down to get back whatever you stole. Then, you probably know if you steal something in real life it will probably play out similar, maybe not that extreme, but similar. 

That leads to explaining how I think instincts might be self consciously created in our life. Science says you dream every night, but you may not always remember it when you wake up, because your mind was too tired to retain the dream as a vivid memory; which is also why your can remember your dream in your head but it’s so hard to try and put into words to explain your dream to someone. Okay, back to the instincts, I think dreams play a role in instincts for the reason I just stated; because you don’t always remember your dreams but they may have already made an impact on you and your mind before you wake up. Just like when you’re a baby you don’t remember much of anything from about 7 years old and before. That doesn't mean everything that happened before your 7th birthday didn't have an impact on your life, or an impact on your personality, brain, how you see the world, or how you see people. As you grow up, you’re basically building off those “base” events that happened when you were younger that make you who you are today. Therefore, whenever you have a good or bad instinct it might be your brain trying to tell you to do something, or to not do something because your brain (deep down) already knows the effect your actions will have on your life. 

You may forget your dreams by fate because you're too tired to remember them and were in too deep of a sleep state; but your dreams don’t forget you and they play a part in your life by giving you hints (instincts) on what you should do and your dreams affect your brain to help you with life and survival. That’s how I believe dreams play a major role in your actions. 

Ram Truck (Limerick)

The old lady asked if it was a Ram 

The dealer replied yes of course ma’am

Not the animal, the truck

But the lady was out of luck

$1,001 for the truck was a scam

August

One August night 

One question in the night

175 days of life 

175 days of laughter

175 days of love

Since that August night

One august night 

We didn’t know what we’d pursue

What we would grow into

One august night 

True love at first sight

That will stay with us

For the rest of our lives

Mice (Haiku)

The little white mouse

Made little paw prints as it

Ran across the snow

I wrote this for my 10th grade ELA class and wrote about just random thoughts I have on a daily basis and I wrote some poems.