Let Me Keep my Innocnece | Teen Ink

Let Me Keep my Innocnece

June 1, 2009
By PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
105 articles 5 photos 107 comments

Favorite Quote:
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then watch everyone wonder how you did it!


“You have to lose your innocence- we’re going to make sure you do by the end of this year.” I’m a graduating freshman from high school, and this is the statement that I have heard on a daily basis. I’m not exaggerating- everywhere I go, it’s people cracking dirty jokes that I don’t understand. While trying to do homework in orchestra, while having a free day in math, I just stood (or sat) dumbfounded while everyone was laughing like crazy. In both situations, people tried to make me “lose my innocence.” I repeated the same statement that I have grown so tired of saying because of the number of times that I have had to say it- “I would like to, if possible, keep my innocence.” And I am known for this innocence. I’m so innocent that I don’t know what “that’s what she said” means- still don’t, hope I never do, and so far, no one’s attempts to explain have reached me. (Don’t explain it to me either.) Although some people claim to be proud of their perverted minds, I told them one thing- an innocent mind can always become perverted at any time, but a perverted mind can never become innocent.
Think of a pink elephant.
Okay, now try to not think of a pink elephant.
It’s hard, isn’t it? When you tell yourself to not think of something, doesn’t that just make us think about it even more? That’s why someone has to concentrate on the good things- and that’s why I know that if I understood the dirty jokes, I would crack them right and left like nobody’s business. But so far, I’ve been spared from doing that. I’ve been able to stand up for myself, to not give in to peer pressure and allow myself to understand these things. I don’t want to understand these things. I enjoy being pure- I may be missing out on something, but ignorance is bliss. A child doesn’t need to understand those things to be happy- and consider me childish, but neither do I. I’ve told everyone that I would like to keep my innocence. As much as people tried to change that, they haven’t been able to. But their efforts still bother me. Their efforts are not completely futile. And in the end, I feel like it’s made me kind of lose a sense of who I am.
I think that this difference in me from other ninth graders should allow me to say this one thing-
Let me keep my innocent mind.


The author's comments:
It may be kind of bad... written on a total whim. Oh well- hope I was persuasive.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 67 comments.


on Mar. 9 2010 at 7:50 pm
melancholymariposa, San Antonio, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't let your character change color with your environment. Find out who you are and let it stay it's true color."
— Rachel Scott

i love being innocent minded!

on Mar. 9 2010 at 3:11 pm
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York
27 articles 0 photos 231 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

Well, I've thought about you, and I agree with you. Innocence is the one of the best things you can have. Being perverted sucks.

on Feb. 28 2010 at 4:32 pm
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York
27 articles 0 photos 231 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

Well, you're hardly a child in ninth grade, but it's good to keep your innocence. I don't see why people feel the need to BECOME perverted.

The only thing is, it's possible to get all these dirty jokes and not think about them all the time. I stumble across perverted stuff all the time, on the Internet, in school, whatever. And I spend most of my time thinking about Harry Potter and my writing. Sure, there's no need to intentionally get rid of your innocence, but once it's gone there isn't that great of a difference.

on Feb. 13 2010 at 4:45 pm
evrycloudyday7 PLATINUM, Wappingers Falls, New York
28 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
"As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what counts." Seneca
"I'll just read a book instead. I don't care if we're just friends. I can hang out with myself I'm old enough now to pretend. Bam ba dum ba dum ba dum." kate n

i feel the same way. i'm considered "innocent minded." I also didn't know the whole 'thats what she said' joke until recently, and I hate that my friend told me. people make dirty jokes about everything and it seriously has to stop. it's just gross and immature.

on Feb. 13 2010 at 3:27 pm
SwordGirl SILVER, Apex, North Carolina
8 articles 0 photos 68 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

-- Winston Chuchill

That was really well written. Good job! I'm homeschooled, but I have the same issue any time that I'm around groups of teens. And I feel the exact same way.

Dreaa:D BRONZE said...
on Jan. 16 2010 at 1:58 pm
Dreaa:D BRONZE, Del Rio, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 15 comments
I respect your view of this but I am one of those kids that joke around like that:b I only joke with my friends that I know I can play around with. I just find it wrong how kids at your school try to get you to think like them. They should really respect you and say perverted things elsewhere when your not around. Maybe you should tell them that? I'm a freshman so I know how we can be:b Just try not to take them so seriously either, blow it off and don't let it get to you because that's all that the other kids want.

on Jan. 4 2010 at 12:08 pm
ReflectionsofYou GOLD, Mason, Tennessee
10 articles 0 photos 107 comments
Oh okay, I didn't realize anybody did that... It must be really overcrowded or something. But anyway nice topic for a piece. :]

PK4evr ELITE said...
on Jan. 2 2010 at 5:03 pm
PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
105 articles 5 photos 107 comments

Favorite Quote:
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then watch everyone wonder how you did it!

Well my school was all freshmen... which was why I said I was graduating because I wrote this about six months ago. Thanks for the encouraging words! -PK

on Jan. 2 2010 at 4:54 pm
WriterFanatic PLATINUM, DesMoines, Iowa
24 articles 0 photos 184 comments

Favorite Quote:
A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
By Gandhi.

Good for you. I am the same. People crack dirty jokes at my school and everyone laughs. Everyone but me. It is sad. You are so correct good job

baby92503 said...
on Dec. 15 2009 at 2:18 pm
well my innocennce was takin from me so.......

on Dec. 11 2009 at 2:12 pm
ReflectionsofYou GOLD, Mason, Tennessee
10 articles 0 photos 107 comments
Good for you. Hold on to it. And don't even worry about other people. hey'll move on and find someone else to mess with. I know that can make you feel like your alone and on the outside of everything, and i wish i could say something encouraging... What did you mean by "graduating freshman'?

on Nov. 17 2009 at 8:33 pm
Charity Paddock BRONZE, Loveland, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 5 comments
As a fellow PK, I know what you're talking about

on Nov. 9 2009 at 9:45 pm
spontaneous09 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
1 article 0 photos 32 comments
I commend you for that. Ignorance truly is bliss. And, one thing that I can't fathom is why people can only find explicit stuff to talk about. Why is that? And, why would you want to force something on someone else, especially things that you would know would be a mistake!

AmnyR BRONZE said...
on Oct. 28 2009 at 9:19 pm
AmnyR BRONZE, Clifton, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 134 comments

Favorite Quote:
To the world, you may be just one person, but to one person, you may be the whole world. ~unknown

ha ha yah i dont get the "that's what she said" jokes, and i'm pretty sure i dont want to. you go PK!

on Oct. 22 2009 at 5:50 am
Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
30 articles 0 photos 271 comments
I AGREE! Peer pressure has gone way to far! Keep your innocence, it what makes you trustworthy and a good person. Dirty jokes aren't a necessity, it's better to efface them from your life. Well written!

brook1234 said...
on Oct. 8 2009 at 10:58 am
I agree....Im only in junior high and people in my grade do that too. I cant even imagine high school.

PK4evr ELITE said...
on Sep. 16 2009 at 11:27 pm
PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
105 articles 5 photos 107 comments

Favorite Quote:
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then watch everyone wonder how you did it!

Haha, yes, PK stands for pastor's kid... yeah, I know, most PK's are either super angelic and rebellious on the inside or just plain rebellious. I like to think that I'm more in the middle. Thanks for commenting! -Natalie

PK4evr ELITE said...
on Sep. 16 2009 at 11:26 pm
PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
105 articles 5 photos 107 comments

Favorite Quote:
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then watch everyone wonder how you did it!

Haha thanks I wrote this in like five minutes without really checking... I even misspelled innocence... oh well, I'm glad that you liked it!

Sunshineyday said...
on Aug. 23 2009 at 6:00 pm
I agree. I can't imagine thinking the way these kids do. It's like they are TRYING to make somebody uncomfortable. not the best writing, but good opic

on Aug. 13 2009 at 2:00 am
October_Moon GOLD, Maywood, California
15 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Today I will be happier than a bird with a french frie.

i really liked this and for writing on a whim this was a really good. Im a tenth grader and i know how you feel i dont always understand those stupid dirty jokes but i admire your innocence i wish that i werent able to know all the idiocity out there keep it up