The Path Of Becoming A Lawyer | Teen Ink

The Path Of Becoming A Lawyer

September 26, 2019
By camilamedeles GOLD, Sacramento, California
camilamedeles GOLD, Sacramento, California
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is not what the world holds for it is what you bring to it"-Anne


 Planning your future is only the first step to success,in addition my future goal is to become a successful lawyer.  I have interest in criminal Justice because I love helping people. Especially the ones who feel like they don't have a voice. Growing up I have only seen white lawyers,so it would be comforting for people to see a firm that is diverse and genuinely cares about the community.


 I know there are a lot of things to do to become a lawyer but I’m determined to do what it takes to make my dream come true.Some steps I have to do to become a lawyer is to go to law school.I know it seems like a long shot but my dream law school is Harvard.To get there I will have to obtain a bachelor’s degree in any subject, I want to major in political science. I have always been very interested in politics because I think it's good for young people to know about what’s going on in our criminal justice system and in the world. Another step I would have to take is complete 4 years in law school and pass the Law School Admission Test (LSAT). Lastly I will have to pass the state Bar Exam, I have heard this exam is very difficult but I believe if you really want something you will never stop trying to accomplish it. Law school can be very difficult but I will have people who will help and support me through it all.


 Achieving your dream and be extremely difficult to do on your own.In my opinion everyone needs help whether they want it or not. I know I will need help from people to achieve my dream.For example I will need help from my teachers.They can write me recommendation letters.Also if I'm having trouble understanding something in class they can give me extra help.I can also go to my counselor for help,they can help me apply to college or find one that fits my interests. Financial Aid (FAFSA) can also be a huge help for me when I go to college.They can help pay for textbooks and my classes.Lastly my friends and family can be very helpful in motivating me to try my best and to always follow my dreams.


 This dream is important to me because I have seen so much injustice in our criminal justice system and I would like to do what I can to help make it as equal for everyone. I would like to work on sexual assault cases or domestic violence cases because I know a lot of people who have been victims of one of those.For example my mom and my sister have been in abusive relationships.But they never spoke up because they felt like no one will believe them.That’s why I want to help them. I want people to feel like they can trust me and that my job is to protect them and the people.I want to be a district attorney to put the bad guys away, people that want to hurt other people.


 Therefore,I want to be a lawyer because I want to help and change the community. I want people to feel like they have a voice and that they matter.In addition I have made the decision that helping people is what I want to do for a living.