How does culture impact perception towards education? | Teen Ink

How does culture impact perception towards education?

By frecklinq BRONZE, San Jose, California
frecklinq BRONZE, San Jose, California

Culture is significantly impactful when it comes to perspective towards education. Immigrant parents and western parents present a contrast in their perspective. Immigrant parents are not receptive to the same grades as western parents. A grade of a “C” does not have the same value when it comes to these two cultures.

Immigrant parents come from countries where studying day to night is common. Saturday school is the “norm” in these countries. It is different in the states where additional tutoring or schooling is seen as a way for students to get ahead. When immigrant parents come to the states, they expect a lot from their children. Thus, college is an expectation, not an option.

Western parents have a different mindset. They see a grade of a “C” as passing. It’s neither excellent nor unsatisfactory. Immigrant parents see this grade as a fail and as a disgrace to the family. Fortunately, my parents aren’t like this. They understand I work hard and I accept I can’t be a valedictorian.

Recently, I’ve heard a classmate quit track and field last year because she was “failing” math. Also, a student couldn’t attend a cross country meet in a different town because he had 79% in his math class. Both of these students are children of immigrants.

Despite the differences in these cultures, it can be agreed upon that education is important and different factors can contribute to higher education. In the states, it’s been reported that high school graduates make less than college graduates. Immigrants’ children follow the mantra that going to college leads to having a family. Having a family leads to a successful life.

I wrote this piece originally for my AP Language class.