How School Failed Me | Teen Ink

How School Failed Me

November 30, 2018
By benhansen BRONZE, Kettle Falls, Washington
benhansen BRONZE, Kettle Falls, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

So throughout my life I have moved from a lot of families, and a lot of beliefs, education being one of them. So with each new family came a new life, and new school or in some families no school. At each new school I was at a different point than the rest of the students witch made me not really care or try because if  I'm already behind why try to catch up and do all that extra work. So like I said I was already behind and then I moved in with a family that didn't believe in school so I went like six months not going to school at all I'm not gonna lie it was the best time of my life it was really like an extended summer it was great but it got me further behind.

After that I moved in with a family that did homeschooling and I didn't like how they did it so I just didn't do it and they sent me to public school. Once I got to that school I made friends with all the good kids because I started doing sports so I started to try in school and I did pretty good I got almost all the way caught up it was alright I was glad I was doing good.

Then came along high school I went to a tiny school called Paideia in the middle of nowhere it was a school of sixty students thats is it. It was a good school I was getting great grades until I started having a lot of family problems and pretty much stopped caring about school. I made it through my sophomore year no thanks to all my problems but I still got good grades throughout that year and ended pretty great. Over the summer my family problems got worse and I ended up getting kicked out of my house at the end of the summer and moved back in with my real family and I started doing a lot better mentally and physically I was having a good time..

Suddenly out of nowhere it seemed school started up and I got enrolled in Kettle Falls high school it seemed like a good school I didn't really know very many people but it was ok and I was getting pretty good grades but I guess  I'm just not feeling school this year I am starting to struggle pretty bad. I knew something had to change. I didn't know what was supposed to change so I talked to my mom and we decided to wait until the end of the year and if I still don't want to finish school then I am going to drop out and get my GED.

People keep telling me its a dumb idea but really, I'm going to be eighteen at the beginning of my senior year and I know I wouldn't go to school if I didn't have to. So I have decided to just drop out and go to work at Bosie when I turn eighteen and start my life doing what I want to do not what the school says I can do.  

So what I'm saying is it's not that schools fails kids it's the fact that we have to fit schools schedules and be at a certain place at a certain time and some people can't do that. So it kinda is the schools fault but its really about people's different lifes and their situation. Schools are really for the kids with normal lives and not for the kids with crazy lives that don't make sense.    


The author's comments:

this is just my exprience with school