Is Technology Ruining Friendships? | Teen Ink

Is Technology Ruining Friendships?

Did you know that 76% of teens use social media, and 94% of teens who have a smartphone use it everyday? Technology has become a major part of everyday life. But can too much of a good thing be bad? Some people may argue that technology taints the lives of young teens, and it can stop meaningful, lifelong friendships and relationships from developing. But I strongly disagree with that opinion. Although technology may have its negativities, I think it makes friendships stronger, and is an essential part of growing up. However, some adults or parents may argue that the internet and social media brainwashes teens, and is filled with negative, provocative things. But think about it this way. It’s not the internet, it’s the way that some teens choose to use it. If parents feel that their kids are immature, naive, or inappropriate, they should have a stronger supervision over them. And in the end, it’s the parents’ fault, because every parent is responsible for their own child. Furthermore, I still think technology is a good thing.      

To begin, one way that technology is a good thing is it allows people to express themselves and to have their say on things. It also lets you share interests, meet new people, and make friends. For example, I met one of my best friends over the internet, and we’re still best friends to this day. So therefore, technology doesn’t break friendships, it creates them.            

Finally, the most important reason why I think that technology is a good thing is because you can keep in touch with your family and friends. You can call, text, facetime, skype, you name it. This is why I think technology is indeed a good thing. If anything, it helps people build stronger relationships, and it helps people in many various ways. If someone, whether it be your family, a husband or wife who may be in a different state visiting family, your son or daughter who just went off to college, or your best friend who moved away, technology allows you to keep in touch with the people you love. It also allows you to talk to your friends outside of school, make plans, and stay connected so you don’t split apart.

In conclusion, I argue that technology is wonderful, creates friendships, and lets you be in contact with the world. I also think that if teens and even some adults would stop abusing the good advantages of the internet, everyone would agree that technology is great. Although technology may have bad things, so does everything else. This topic is important because it shows teens the benefits of technology, and could prevent bad things from happening. It makes the world better by letting people know both sides of technology, instead of a bias statement. People may say that technology is horrible, and that it’s bad. But like I said before, there’s bad everywhere. For example, people rant about predators online, there’s predators on the streets that we walk on! So, therefore, I think that technology is a great part of life, no matter what the argument may be. What’s your opinion on technology?