Dear Mr. Green | Teen Ink

Dear Mr. Green

October 23, 2015
By Rynn750 SILVER, Somewhere, Wisconsin
Rynn750 SILVER, Somewhere, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A cynical young person is almost the saddest sight to see, because it means that he or she has gone from knowing nothing to believing nothing." - Maya Angelou


Dear Mr. Green,

You have never met me, and I have never met you, although I’ve seen you on YouTube. I must say, your work has had an impact on my life. I cried for a little bit when I read The Fault in Our Stars (as I’m sure many others have). I really enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars (alternatively known as TFIOS) because it was so different, and about a serious topic while still maintaining funny parts. Also, from your picture on the back, I realized that you were the person from the Crash Course videos my American History teacher used to show us. Indeed, it was a very exciting discovery for me. All of my friends criticized the movie, however, and I thought it could have been better made, but all in all, I thought it was pretty good.
   

 So, I retained high hopes for the next book of yours I read, which was An Abundance of Katherines. I happen to share a name with the title, so naturally I was excited to read it. My desire also increased because only rarely was the book on the shelf at the library. However, I was moderately disappointed with An Abundance of Katherines. To me, it seemed that the plot was stale and the end of the book was very unexciting, compared to what I had heard about it. Honestly, I found it almost too outlandish to be relatable. I was rather dejected about your writing at that point, because I felt like your ideas didn’t contain enough substance or amazing originality. Don’t get me wrong; you were funny, but I couldn’t seem to find the hidden meaning.
     

Even though I had my reservations, I still decided to pick up Paper Towns from a bookshelf at my school library. I try and read one book per day, so I figured there would be no harm done. I began to read, and I, surprisingly, found it quite enthralling. By nine o’clock that night (I read it during our school’s reading period, on the bus, and as soon as I got home), I was feeling rather weary, but I resolved to persevere on because I was caught up in the plot. I mean, I wasn’t overly impressed, but I thought it was very well written and not very tacky. I think that your books are too outrageous for my taste, and moderately inappropriate in a few places. However, I realize that you probably do that so other teens can live vicariously through your books. So, though I don’t like that particular style of teen novels, I do think it is good that you write in that way.
     

It was the end of the book that really struck me. You see, I felt exactly like that a few weeks ago when I said goodbye to someone who was both my best friend and my boyfriend. In the last few paragraphs of the book, your words were so poignant and touching that I grew to admire the book much more. You touched me, and made my still tender heart feel a pang, but in a good way. Maybe I’ll never see him again, and I probably won’t ever meet you, but you helped me, in just a little way, to heal just a little bit more. So even though I probably won’t read any more of your books, thank you and keep writing.

Sincerely, Katherine


The author's comments:

This probably makes me look like I'm bitter, but I do have a mix of opinions about these books.