Dear Mr. Green | Teen Ink

Dear Mr. Green

By Rynn750 SILVER, Somewhere, Wisconsin
Rynn750 SILVER, Somewhere, Wisconsin

"A cynical young person is almost the saddest sight to see, because it means that he or she has gone from knowing nothing to believing nothing." - Maya Angelou

Dear Mr. Green,

You have never met me, and I have never met you, although I’ve seen you on YouTube. I must say, your work has had an impact on my life. I cried for a little bit when I read The Fault in Our Stars (as I’m sure many others have). I really enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars (alternatively known as TFIOS) because it was so different, and about a serious topic while still maintaining funny parts. Also, from your picture on the back, I realized that you were the person from the Crash Course videos my American History teacher used to show us. Indeed, it was a very exciting discovery for me. All of my friends criticized the movie, however, and I thought it could have been better made, but all in all, I thought it was pretty good.

So, I retained high hopes for the next book of yours I read, which was An Abundance of Katherines. I happen to share a name with the title, so naturally I was excited to read it. My desire also increased because only rarely was the book on the shelf at the library. However, I was moderately disappointed with An Abundance of Katherines. To me, it seemed that the plot was stale and the end of the book was very unexciting, compared to what I had heard about it. Honestly, I found it almost too outlandish to be relatable. I was rather dejected about your writing at that point, because I felt like your ideas didn’t contain enough substance or amazing originality. Don’t get me wrong; you were funny, but I couldn’t seem to find the hidden meaning.

Even though I had my reservations, I still decided to pick up Paper Towns from a bookshelf at my school library. I try and read one book per day, so I figured there would be no harm done. I began to read, and I, surprisingly, found it quite enthralling. By nine o’clock that night (I read it during our school’s reading period, on the bus, and as soon as I got home), I was feeling rather weary, but I resolved to persevere on because I was caught up in the plot. I mean, I wasn’t overly impressed, but I thought it was very well written and not very tacky. I think that your books are too outrageous for my taste, and moderately inappropriate in a few places. However, I realize that you probably do that so other teens can live vicariously through your books. So, though I don’t like that particular style of teen novels, I do think it is good that you write in that way.

It was the end of the book that really struck me. You see, I felt exactly like that a few weeks ago when I said goodbye to someone who was both my best friend and my boyfriend. In the last few paragraphs of the book, your words were so poignant and touching that I grew to admire the book much more. You touched me, and made my still tender heart feel a pang, but in a good way. Maybe I’ll never see him again, and I probably won’t ever meet you, but you helped me, in just a little way, to heal just a little bit more. So even though I probably won’t read any more of your books, thank you and keep writing.

Sincerely, Katherine

This probably makes me look like I'm bitter, but I do have a mix of opinions about these books.

writer-violist DIAMOND, Jenks, Oklahoma

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Great job! I also learned that after I read TFIOS that John Green was in the crash course American History that my teacher showed us. I like how you show your true emotions in this piece and that you ended on a positive note. I think that it was very well written and I'm surprised that you read a book a day. I usually only do that when I am just really into a book. Way to go! You've got talent please keep writing! I'd like to see more! God bless! :)