Bared Souls | Teen Ink

Bared Souls

By @99_shootingstar GOLD, Singapore, Other
@99_shootingstar GOLD, Singapore, Other

We make choices but sometimes, choices are what make us.

Let’s admit it; human beings are selfish by nature. We tend to focus more on our self and our own benefits compared to caring for others. We think that other people’s needs are not important and they are the last on our lists.

Be it at the subway, at a coffee shop, waiting for the bus, we will see strangers. How many of us will think, “Oh no please don’t strike a conversation with me”.  We think that talking to strangers is a dangerous thing but aren’t they just as humane as us?

I am someone who seldom strikes up conversations with people, rather it is the other way round. However as we started talking, people would open up to me, tell me their life stories and the problems they are facing. And we end up thinking of solutions to help solve their problems.

Friends have frequently called me a therapist, for being able to help many others with their problems. I bet to digress; all I did was to offer a listening ear to them. I think that’s what people needs to know, that sometimes all we need is someone who is willing to listen. We need to realize that the world doesn’t resolve around us and that we can put others’ needs before our own at times. You never know how listening to others’ life stories will mean a lot to them and at the same time, impact us just as much. It broadens our perspectives of society, that maybe life isn’t so picture-perfect afterall.

I read in an article recently that striking up a conversation with someone is equivalent to dancing with someone. When you dance with someone, you don’t stare at their feet but rather their eyes. You trust them to lead you on the dance and you feel safe with them by your side. Isn’t that how all relationships should be? Based on trust because if you lack that, any relationship will crumble. Our eyes is also the only way we bare our souls out to someone. You see the pent-up feelings and emotions hiding behind this person. Stare into their eyes and you see them so vulnerable, like an open book waiting to be read by the right person at the right time. 

So why can’t we strike up conversations with people like asking someone for a dance? It’s because we are scared. We fear the rejection and the humiliation that comes with it. Have you ever wondered why your path crosses with someone else? There must be a reason which even I can’t fathom. Why me but not you? Are we meant to impact their lives in some way or another?

Personally I believe that all things happen for a reason. I may not know the reason but I’m willing to give life a try. Hence whenever someone strike up a conversation with you, why not try and say hi. You never know if that stranger can impact your life in the future. Almost all of my close friends approached me first to start a conversation, and see how that one conversation led to our friendship. I don’t believe in destiny but really, life just make me does.

In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take