Dressed for Success | Teen Ink

Dressed for Success

By alme3 DIAMOND, Double Oak, Texas
alme3 DIAMOND, Double Oak, Texas

"Love is friendship set on fire." -Jeremy Taylor

With the end of summer comes the end of shorts and tank tops, right? Not necessarily. The Marquee found flexible and fashionable ways to transition your summer clothes to fall - and still be in dress code.

Though the guys may not have as many issues with the dress code, some may still miss wearing those white summer tank tops and muscle shirts. An easy way to fix that problem is to wear a denim or flannel shirt on top of the tank. Leave the shirt unbuttoned and roll the long sleeves up to the elbows during the hotter months. Once the cold hits, make the most of the double layers and button up. It’s a win-win.

Don’t hang summer dresses and skirts in the backs of closets, ladies. Bring them to the front, along with a few extra clothing items to help make them appropriate for school. Short dresses and skirts that don’t reach mid-thigh are still wearable. Just slip on a pair of leggings and boots to transform them from too short to too cool for school. Add a fun scarf and a denim or leather jacket for the colder days. Switch it up by mixing solid-colored dresses with patterned leggings for extra style, or vice versa. Now girls are no longer limited to jeans and sweatpants as the fall months hit.

More of a crop top kind of girl? Not to worry. The days of showing some midriff at music festivals may be over, but the staple of the summer isn’t banned during fall. Simply buy some high waisted jeans that reach the end of the shirt’s fabric. Rock the crop without worrying about extra skin showing through. Still too short? Wear a tank under the crop top and tuck it into the jeans. Make the ensemble more classy by looping on some long necklaces or wearing long earrings. Roll up the ends of the jeans and let some ankle show to even out the proportions of the short shirt and the high waist. It’s the best of both worlds.

A story I wrote for my school paper.