Domestic Violence | Teen Ink

Domestic Violence

By CMort812 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
CMort812 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Domestic violence has, and always will be a frequent problem in the United States. Every day a family is broken apart due to domestic violence. There are many different effects that this crime can have on its victims. For some its physical but for most its mental. PTSD ( Post traumatic stress disorder) is commonly found in victims of DV. This is a horrible crime and more must be done to stop it.

One of the effects of DV is the physical part, in cases of parents abusing kids or parents abusing each other. Abuse takes a big toll on all of its victims. I believe that abuse is one of the worst crimes of all but is over looked by many people because of how frequent it occurs. No one should underestimate the pain abuse brings to a family. I know because myself and many friends have been abused.

Emotional abuse is equally as bad as physical. Emotional abuse can harm some ones social life, self-esteem, and can completely change how they live. I believe that emotional abuse is one of the main reasons teens in America commit suicide. Victims usually have trouble trusting people and distance themselves from the ones they love. This causes families to break apart.

Domestic Violence can break apart a family at any time, when you could least expect it. Some people lose their homes to DV and it is always such a tragedy. Too see what used to be a big loving family, turn into a family trying to survive on the streets. Moving form shelter to shelter, trying to find a way to eat and bathe, all because of the horrible abuse one person caused to the family. I believe that no matter what, the victims should always stand by the ones who are there for you as well.

Domestic violence and change a family in a matter of minutes. One day you can be cooking for your family, the next you’re crying of hunger and nowhere to go. But I believe that if you stick by the ones that you love and you keep fighting, you will survive. Never forget who was there for you only forgive when forgiveness is earned.

Being a victim of domestic violence, I know that it is very important to stick with the ones you love. Good things happen to good people, no matter how long it takes.