Spring/ Summer Trends 2013 | Teen Ink

Spring/ Summer Trends 2013

By eunice_ykim SILVER, Ridgefield, New Jersey
eunice_ykim SILVER, Ridgefield, New Jersey

With the change of a season, designers target their customers with must-have pieces that seem to call your name. For those of us who are looking to recycle our favorite pieces from last year, no need to worry, fashion is repeating itself. Though there are many updates that need to be made, to the relief of our parent’s wallet, many of last year’s trends are still in style.

For one, color blocking shirts and shorts are predicted to play a bigger role in this summer than it did last. This trend of mixing two or more contrasting colors together in one look was brought to the forefront by designers like Helmut Lang and Rachel Roy. Having their designs sported by red carpet queens like Katy Perry, Emma Stone and Kelly Osbourne, it encouraged the rest of the world to partake in the style revolution. Due to the playfulness it brings to an overall simple outfit, and also considering the fact that it has been deemed to be ‘in-style’ for the past three seasons in the ever changing world of fashion, I infer this fad will perpetuate into the seasons following this summer.

Another trend continuing this year is the use of sheer chiffon fabric. Most commonly used in making shirts, the use of chiffon originates from Europe during the eighteenth century. Due to its thinness and delicate appeal, this fabric is back in full force and considered a must-have for the sultry temperatures of the summer.

The concept from last summer and this summer is not much different; floral patterns, color blocking, chiffon and animal prints are all techniques used in previous seasons. However, the change is in the colors that are being used and the extent of how much of the pattern is being used. Instead of sheepish tones of off-white, rose and lilac, this summer enhance your wardrobe with bold defiant colors that compliment your skin tone. Everyone has a color that highlights their best features, from fiery red to chrome purple find an exotic summer shade that is right for you!

Your guide on what to look forward to when the weather gets warmer.