Do celebrities deserve so much attention? | Teen Ink

Do celebrities deserve so much attention?

February 28, 2012
By DudetteBrunette GOLD, Bradford, Other
DudetteBrunette GOLD, Bradford, Other
15 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
'The future influences the present as much as the past'


Celebrities are ultimately people who have gained recognition for either a talent or a personality which attracts the attention of modern day society. Generally speaking, I think the influence of the 'Celebrity world' and 'Hollywood' has lead to extreme effects, especially amongst youths, as most magazines are full of tabloids and attention seeking articles which speak little truth. Not only this, but the images of celebrities is usually quite false due to the constant need for perfection and 'beauty' which means that people automatically assume looking good is the answer to everything. For some, this is now a lifestyle.

The consequences of having such a stereotypical image of 'beautiful' means that many people are desperate to achieve the status of being a celebrity through their everyday decisions such as shopping, where they might hope to buy clothing within the current fashion style simply because they saw a model or actress wearing it in a magazine. To some extent, this is quite unhealthy because it makes modern societies, particularly the youths of a society, prone to insecurities which are dealt with solutions such as plastic surgery addictions, low self esteem and depression and currently, eating disorders.

Some celebrities who earn their statuses are very humble, and have traditional roots which means they make an honest living by working hard to achieve their reputation and more importantly, their wages. They are in some circumstances exploited by the media which can lead to a negative interpretation by society, yet for the most part, some can keep grounded and consistent in their approach to life. However I feel like some occupations such as footballers are bordering on ridiculous with their salaries and their attitudes to their jobs. The game itself requires a player being in good shape and focussed on winning, however, given the recent performances by some teams, including England in the World Cup I think it's fair to conclude that some simply couldn't appreciate the opportunity they had been given and what it was they had been sent to do.