Facebook | Teen Ink

Facebook

September 27, 2010
By mariss312 BRONZE, Wexford, Pennsylvania
mariss312 BRONZE, Wexford, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Almost everyone you know has one. There are more then 500 million active users in the world, and people spend over 700 billion minutes per month on this website. Yes, Facebook can be very helpful in ways, but it can also be very damaging to people everywhere, especially teenagers.
I actually do love Facebook, regardless of the negative things that have happened. It’s a fun and easy way to communicate with friends without having to text as much. Also, it can help with school work because you may have a question about something but you don’t always have phone numbers of kids in all your classes, so you can just log onto Facebook and ask someone who’s online. But, it isn’t all good. Facebook is known to be a huge distraction when it comes to schoolwork. A lot of times, you can go on Facebook thinking of spending a couple minutes online, and then end up spending hours and not having enough time to do your homework. It is a very easy way to procrastinate.
Cyber-bullying is a huge problem in middle and high schools. 42% of kids have been bullied online, and 1 and 4 have had it happen more then once. I myself have known of kids who have been cyber bullied in my own school, and I know that it was over Facebook. Facebook has caused a lot of problems socially with teens, which were mostly girls. A lot of rude and mean things are said over Facebook that aren’t said face to face. And although it isn’t always meant to be extremely hurtful, depending on the person it can be taken very seriously. Cyber-bullying can even lead to suicide. Girls are often very insecure and it isn’t right to bully them and put them down just because you are hiding behind a computer screen. If this behavior was stopped, then Facebook wouldn’t be such a negative thing.
Recently, I have had to shut down my account. It has been about 3 weeks, and I am still alive. My grades are better then they would be if I had my Facebook account, and I have not been involved in any drama that could distract me from school and anything else.


Basically what I’m saying is that Facebook isn’t a necessity. It’s fine if you use the site for good, but not for bad. If so many people didn’t have it, it wouldn’t be as big of a deal to stop using it. But in reality, not a lot of people are going to want to stop using Facebook. So, I think that people should take into consideration what they use Facebook for, and to make it a fun, positive website for everyone.