Of all the Fake Emos in the World | Teen Ink

Of all the Fake Emos in the World

By Tej Patel BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
Tej Patel BRONZE, Roslyn, New York

To be or not to be, emo. It isn’t a fashion statement, it’s a death wish. To be emo is more then just wearing black and purple all the time, it’s about hurting yourself in multiple ways because you’re so ignorant and think that the world is completely against you even though it’s not. Although emo-culture freaks people out, it has had a great influence on music and fashion trends.

The face of Fall Out Boy is bassist Pete Wentz, he has created an image for the band that is favorable to those who enjoy the thought of “pain for pleasure”. Is he really emo because he hates his life, or is he just using the image as a way of looking cool? If you think about it there really is no reason for him to be emo because the way I see it is he has it good. He’s a bassist in a band that hits #1 in the Billboard 100 and 200 every time they come out with a new album; he’s married to Ashley Simpson(now Ashley Wentz); and he makes millions a year with his band.

As you may or may not know he has had suicidal thoughts in the past. The lyrics of all the Fall Out Boy songs contain a depressing message bordered with irony, and so what helps him give off this image of being emo is the way he writes the lyrics to the bands songs for example in the song “ Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying”, he said in a poem at the end of the song “from day one I talked about getting out/ but not forgetting about/ how my worst fears are letting out/ …… now talking just a waste of breath/ and livings just a waste of death/ ….. when this is you and me/ and me and you/ until we got/ nothing left” if anything this poem is exaggerated ethos. It’s all a gimmick, there’s no way can a dude feel this depressed and have as much publicity as he does.

Now I’m not trying to insult Fall Out Boy, because personally, I love their music and the lyrics to the songs. It all works out because he can attract a group of people with his image and the image he creates for the band, and keep them liking the band with the songs they sing and play and stuff. Pete Wentz is an inspiration to all that appreciate hard core suicidal-cut-myself-because-I-hate-life-even-though-my-wife-is-hot-and-I’m-making-millions-from-my-band kind of people. He has the look and the way of thinking, all he needs now is to live the life of a person that truly is depressed.

this is my best piece so far lolll XD

ColdplayForever BRONZE, San Jose, California

"Coldplay fans are the best in the world. If you like Coldplay, then you're obviously very intelligent, good-looking, and all-around brilliant."
~Chris Martin

Why does the word "emo" even exist? It's stereotypical. I agree, pretending to be depressed is not cool, and some people actually are depressed. Does that make them emo? No! And I wear black all the time, but I am definitely not emo or fake emo. Look, even spellcheck says the word is wrong! (hahaha jk :D) But in all seriousness, what I have realized from this article, is that the whole world is one big stereotype.

Real Emo said...
on Mar. 27 2014 at 12:38 am
Jesus Christ, this whol perception that emo is just about dressing black and being sad is what stigmatizes the whole genre. It's not a fasion statement, it's not a state of mind, it's about music. Writing pure and honest music that is more confessional than other genres but by no means about being a sad depressed child. 

I thought all emos must cut themselves. What's the point of labeling yourself as such, and not even cutting? You just want to look cool or have others feel pity on you? Yeah right.

ZeeBYoung BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. :)

"To be or not to be, emo. It isn’t a fashion statement, it’s a death wish. To be emo is more then just wearing black and purple all the time, it’s about hurting yourself in multiple ways because you’re so ignorant and think that the world is completely against you even though it’s not." Lol wut? Being emo isn't about hurting yourself or being depressed all the time. Emo is just short for emotional. They can be some of the most creative, larger than life people you'll ever meet (like Pete Wentz). They just express themselves in a darker way. This whole article is kind of stereotypical.

thinkhappythoughts SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"in friends we trust" -Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!

Kudos on the MCR quote! "It isn't a fashion statement, it's a death wish."

Tej Patel BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
ur comp must be emo loll

Tej Patel BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
also normal is what the majority is and if the majority is emo then yea emo is normal but it's not...not emo is loll

wannabeaphotogirl BRONZE, Forest, Virginia
My boyfriend would probably say to make sure that emo and goth are kept seprate as well umm i forget the other cateogory. Anyway, one is more off of style but emo is supposed to be focused on feelings rather than apperance.

on Oct. 31 2010 at 12:00 am
t.i.m.n_w PLATINUM, Iqaluit, Other

When oppertunites come, don't be afraid to try for them, they might open doors to bigger and better things.

not all emo's cut themselfs, my bestfriend is an emo,she doesn't cut herself. i myself write some sad crappy things that sound like i have a death wish, it's just a way to let out the sadness in a creative and save way.

xxEllaxStarxx BRONZE, Petersburg, Alaska

The hardest thing to do is watch the one you love, love someone else.

You can be emo without being emo.

First off, I dress in black all the time, I listen to hardcore, screamo, depressing music. I wear skinnes, heavy eyeliner and I LOVE guys that wear converse. But, I don't call myself emo. I'm just me. Other people call me emo. It's just a label. Because people are scared of what they don't understand. What has become the norm nowadays makes me sad. What is normal anyway? Someone tell me what normal is, give me the true example of something normal. For all we know, normal would be emo.

The fact is, we don't. While, yeah, I think it is kinda stupid to cut yourself if you have issues, I can't say that I don't think it's a bad idea if you want to be able to feel something. Sorry, I wrote a novel. Just, something I have to explain to people a lot...

MaliyahP. SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

There are pirate ships and steam ships but the best ship of all is friendship.

I have to say that this is a good piece, but you missed the entire selling point.  Emo is just short for emotional...it has nothing to do with what you wear or how they deal with tragity...I think that emo has become something totally different to what it used to be, and it is pathetic.  I know people that cut themselves and for you to think that it is such a crazy idea is really rude to me...yes there are other ways to deal with pain in your life, but don't go judging people before you have sunken as far as they have.

And one more thing...you can be depressed and still have a perfect life.  Look at people that commit suicide...most have perfectly good lives and they still don't think it is enough!!!

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

Sorry I commented twice saying the same thing. My computer was being weird. :(

Jigjoo GOLD said...
Jigjoo GOLD, Many, Louisiana

Hello. My name is Muerte, and I will be your assassin today.

VWhy do you call my comment insulting? Can you truthfully say that you've never felt the urge, however brief, to hurt yourself after failing spectacularly? For those of you who can stop themselves from acutually harming themselves, kudos. As for the rest of us, we try to get our help, and we see doors slammed in our faces. Not everyone is as supportive a friend as you'd imagine they'd be when you call them crying at three in the morning.

inheavenshands BRONZE, Kaysville, Utah

I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
::: Andrew Wyeth :::

All sterotypes in general are self destructive. People should always be themselves, and not be naive to fads of society. I like your idea that emo is a sort of sterotype that encourages bad behavior and choices. But remember that other labels promote bad things too. You know, jocks, preps, posers, art freak, druggies, sluts, metalheads, whatever kids do these days. All those labels suck, people should just be themselves. I think society, esp. teenagers are scared of being different and want to conform to what may seem cool at the moment. Doing this makes the teenager fake and loose their personal identity. I believe that anyone that puts themselves into a sterotype suffers from low self esteem and has no sense of their own identity as a human being.

IntricateInk said...
on May. 23 2010 at 1:50 am
IntricateInk, Waynesburg, Ohio

"One cannot consent to creep when one has an impulse to soar"

What????????????? Not all emos destroy themselves!!! My appearance is considered emo; long black hair, skinny jeans, band tees... without scars upon my wrists. I will agree there are wanna be emos who pledge themselves to selfdestruction for the scene.

margierose GOLD, New York, New York
I somewhat agree with you....I don't like how you generalize about how all people who wear emo-like clothing hate the world. For those "emos" who do hate the world, but aren't actually depressed, they frustrate me. What use is it to hate the world and wallow in angst all the time? Most of them are rich suburban kids with a lot to be thankful for. The world has been better to them than to many other people. And those people don't complain. They make the best of the lot they've been given, and retain faith. 

IAmASneakyOwl, West Warwick, Rhode Island
You do know that not all emos cut themselves? Many hate the world, but not all do. You dont have to be bleeding to be emo.

Kristy_loves_Keats PLATINUM, Arvada, Colorado
i agree with you. people who do that are not doing it because they are ignorant! its just somepeople feel that they would rather die and not being mean to you but your first few lines is anouther reasson they hate there life is because people who say that makes them feel no one understands them/likes them so...why live. im not saying this just to say it im saying because i am one of those people but ya anyway this was okay 3 out of 5

on Mar. 9 2010 at 11:51 am
ThisIsArwen BRONZE, Idaho Falls, Idaho
I would just like to point out that people don't hurt themselves because they are ignorant and overreacting. Maybe every once in a while that is the case. But not usually. Self-mutilation is not really something to be made fun of or made light of. You shouldn't judge people if you don't know what they've been through.

CatherineS BRONZE, Charlotte, South Carolina

"Don't be ridiculous. You have no right to barge into people's castles and take their guitars." -Howl's Moving Castle

In my opinon, 'emos' can be some of the best people in the world. Almost all of them are really nice and accepting to anyone who comes there way because they know how it is to be made fun of because of who you are.