We Are What We Wear | Teen Ink

We Are What We Wear

By Faye GOLD, Tirana, Other
Faye GOLD, Tirana, Other

“Because here's the thing about a book: when you pick up a story, you put down your own”
― Holly Smale, All That Glitters

Clothes are part of everybody's life. I mean, what’s the most important thing we do when we get ready in the morning? Clothes are related to our daily activity, our profession, our thoughts and feelings, so in a way we are what we wear.

“If you see a person on the street wearing scrubs, you most likely assume they work in the medical field; someone in a police uniform obviously a cop. We use uniforms to show people who we are”. Clothes can say a lot about one’s lifestyle and profession. They introduce to others the job one does for a living and also the type of company that they work in. Another consideration about “career clothes” and clothes you wear everyday is wearing the right ones at the right time and place. You can’t wear a tracksuit if you have a business meeting, can you? Some can disagree and say that we wear what we want or things that make us stand out. Well, that says something about your personality, meaning you like attention and want others to look up to you or show that you are a free spirit and speak your mind.

According to Dr. Baumgartner when you dress in a certain way, it helps shift your internal self. Have you noticed that when you go shopping for clothes, your mood changes? Scott Rick, an assistant professor of marketing at the University of Michigan in the US has found that the concept of retail therapy is a real thing. For some people, if they’re feeling sad, shopping will make them happier because it restores some control in their lives. It’s making the choice to buy or not to buy that helps people feel more in control. You found clothes that you had never seen before and found your style which affects your psychology in a good way. I too think this is very true as I have experienced sudden mood change when I go shopping after a busy and stressful day.

You might have noticed in many organisations a logo or slogan that the staff wears on shirts, to give a message and show their purpose. The same way they transmit this message, so do everyday clothes. If you see somebody in the streets who is dressed very light and torn clothes in winter, you can tell this person suffers. If somebody is dressed all black, I would think a misfortune might have happened to him or her. But some people say, never judge a book by its cover.

Did you know that 62-90% of a first impression is due to colors? When people meet for the first time, the vast majority of their first impressions are made up of color recognition. “Studies suggest that those who consistently wear neutral colors or black make fewer positive first impressions, but those who wear brighter colors are more likely to form friendly bonds”. Wearing bright colors can be affected by your current mood or vice versa. It can also show people what you are feeling happiness, laziness or passion that you spend a lot of time and effort picking an outfit.

So, with all the examples given, do you agree with me now? What we wear reflects part our personality, our feelings, our voice; we are what we wear.