Thoughts on Body Image, Philosophy, and Katy Perry | Teen Ink

Thoughts on Body Image, Philosophy, and Katy Perry

By MANish2001 BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey
MANish2001 BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey

Every inspirational article I’ve ever come across attempts to open with either a glaring statistic or a thought-provoking quote. Others attempt to do what I started this out with- essentially creating a communication between the author and reader. However, in my experience, few have ever introduced their introduction. So, no, this is not going to be the start of a life-changing article filled to the brim with jaw-dropping revelations or stomach-churning stories. Rather, this piece seeks to simply accomplish one goal: unveil the truth. See the truth, much like ourselves, is thought to be hidden behind false facades. However, this could not be a more fallacious claim. Rather, the truth is out in the open. It’s only that we choose not to observe it. Of what use would a veil be to a person whose eyes are closed? Similarly, I believe, many of us are blind to reality- not forcibly, but rather subconsciously so. Moreover, everyone says seeing is believing. Yet I raise the same issue- of what use is this to someone whose eyes are closed? This article hopes not only to open some eyes but to also touch some hearts. Because it’s only with the combination of sight and heart, that we can truly begin to experience the world.

“If you’ve got it, flaunt it.” Well, all of us have “got” a body, right? And per the aforementioned value of a quote, it logically follows that each and every person should consequently “flaunt it.” Despite what many say, most every problem posed by society can be solved philosophically. Topics ranging from free speech on campus to abortion rights can be solved with moral philosophy. Likewise, even as experts claim psychological remedies to body image issues, I assert it’s our philosophy that must be fixed so that our psychology needn’t be touched. Warning: slight digression incoming. Whenever the word philosophy arises, people are either bored or confused. They believe it’s an act only to be done by old people who have nothing better to do. There are two problems with that claim (actually there are MANY MANY more problems but I’ll focus on the two which are the most glaring). Firstly, philosophy isn’t only done by the elderly. In fact, every single human is a philosopher from the minute of his or her birth. This leads me to the second issue: philosophy is not an act. At its core, philosophy is the study of the right way to go about things. Tying these two together, every time a decision is made, philosophy happens. What goes into decision-making is a mix of morals, ethics, and feelings- each their own separate tenet of philosophical study. This brings me to an important, but not particularly profound, assertion: philosophy is a way of life.

Stay with me. The connection to the topic at hand is that body image issues need not be a disease which needs treatment. It does not even have to be a problem which needs solving. Instead, it simply is a philosophical misunderstanding. Body image issues are, at their interior, the WRONG way to go about your life. I’ve scrolled through Google Images in pursuit of the perfect body image quotes (see introduction for the reason I wanted a quote), and I think I’ve found the two best. Firstly, how do you get a bikini body? It only takes one step: you put a bikini on your body. Second, “Your body hears everything your mind says.”

The first quote is a bit of comic relief amidst such a serious topic but I’d like to hone in on the latter statement. First off, can our minds talk? Or do we just perceive thoughts as silent words? No, I’m not going to explore the philosophical connections this question provokes (it’s epistemology and the philosophy of mind, in case there are any budding philosophers out there). Instead, I find an interesting parallel between my mind’s perception of words and my mind’s perception of my body. Every single human has a different mind and thus a different outlook on life. The way I see my own body may be vastly distinct from the way my neighbor sees it. But isn’t that the case for good reason? After all, can I read my neighbor’s mind and change his thoughts? To quote the great Sheldon Cooper on this (if you don’t know who that is, please turn on your TV) “If I could, then I would. But I can’t, so I shan’t.” There is a reason (celestial or not- depending on your beliefs) that all of us are only in charge of our own thoughts and it follows that we should likewise be in charge of how we think and feel about our own bodies. This is the crux of it all: body image is only an issue if we let it become one. All of us have a body image because we all think of our body in some manner.

The majority of body image pieces, no matter their initial intentions, inevitably revert to factory settings whereby they inundate the reader with positive reinforcement about loving who you are. Let me clarify, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Despite studies showing positive psychology may be ineffective, it doesn’t take away the undeniably good vibes felt when we receive a compliment. I simply wish to say we can attain a state where compliments do not matter. Something that is learned can be unlearned. Something that is felt can be forgotten. But the one thing nobody can take away from you is your mind. Basically, what I’m trying to say is, this is the part of me that you’re never gonna ever take away from me, no! (I mean, when is Katy Perry ever wrong??) Our mind, our opinions, our outlooks, our philosophy, and most importantly, our lives are forever in our control and it’s only with control over these entities that we truly find everything we are looking for.

This article was written for a friend's Girl Scout Gold Award project. 

She asked me to write an article about body image, and I decided to write instead about the philosophy of body image.