Top 10 Death Metal Bands | Teen Ink

Top 10 Death Metal Bands

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

These guys are heavy as heck, yet aren't in the mainstream. I don't know either. But that doesn't mean that I can't talk about it at all, right? Well, if you don't know what Death Metal is, it is a subgenre similar to that of Thrash Metal, but is alot heavier and has growly and screaming vocals. And the tradition is, normal Death metal is in the US, and Melodic Death is in Europe. Today, I will count down my favorite of them all.

10, Arch Enemy, Origins:Netherlands, this is proof that women can do death metal vocals. They have released some great albums such as Burning Bridges, Doomsday Machine, my favorite, and War Eternal, their newest one. They even have assosiation with The Agonist. These guys are melodic death metal, as you could have guessed. I love this band. Songs: Nemesis, War Eternal, You Will Know My Name.

9, Brain Drill, Origin:US, what happens when you take Dragonforce, mix death metal vocals in it. and make it twice as heavy and fast? You get these guys. These guys have only released three albums, but they're all good. The Parasite, Apocoliptic Flesh, and Quantum Catastrophe. These guys are new, some what, and are entitled as Brutal Death Metal, gee I wonder why. Check them out, and give them a shot. Songs: Quantum Catastrophe, The Parasite, Sadistic Abuse.

8, Opeth, Origin: Sweden, these guys are a special case. They are labeled as Progressive Death Metal, yes that's a thing. But it wouldn't have been, if it weren't fore these guys. I love this band, not only are they among my favorite Prog bands but they also made it here.This fusion wouldn't be around if it weren't for Mikeal Akrefeldt and the gang. Songs: Porcelein Heart, Ghost of Perdition, Ghost Reveries, Burden, Coil.

7, Whitechapel, Origin:US, a Deathcore band worth checking out. These guys aren't messing around. The are the good side of Deathcore, of course there are other bands like Job For A Cowboy and The Black Dahlia Murder that show this as well. If you never have heard of them, they sound like everyday Death Metal, its just that they aren't. Their most recent album is their self titled Whitechapel, I hear it's pretty good, but I personally like This Is Exile. That is an epic album if I ever say one. Songs: This is Exile, The Saw Is The Law, Possessed, The Lord Of Flies.

5, Disarmonia Mundi, Origin: Italy, ah yes, Mind Tricks, The Isolation Game, and Quicksand Symmetry. Those are some songs that describe the best trio in the world. When I hear a DM album I hear massive screams and heavy riffs. I also hear some form of massive tongue use in the screams, I guess. If you asked me my favorite album it would be The Isolation Game. Easily the heaviest of their discography. Mind Tricks, too basic. Fragments, I hate it. This is what got my attention for this band and I'm glad to have found it. Songs: The Isolation Game, Cypher Drone, Quicksand Symmetry, Celestial Furnace, and Mind Tricks.

4, Eluveitie, Origin:Switzerland, this a very unique band. This coins the term, Celtic Death Metal, or Death-Folk Metal, which is the use of celtic instruments combined with the use of telling a story. Every one of their albums is a concept album. Ven, Slania, Helvetios, and their newest album, Origins, released in 2014. I love this band and the big influence it had on folk metal. My favorite song, Luxtos, from Helvetios, it's so CATCHY! Songs: Luxtos, A Rose For Epona, King, The Siege, Alesia, Helvetios, Calling The Rain, and Havoc.

3, Veil Of Maya, Origin:US, the second, and last, deathcore band on the list. This band was first introduced to me with Eclipse, their newest album. This album doesn't waste time, because it's less than 30 minutes long. I have heard material from their other albums but my favorite songs come from Eclipse. If you like Deathcore check them out, they're actually considered to be the most unique of Deathcore. Songs: Punisher, 20/200, Martyrs, Divide Paths, Mowgli and Eclipse.

2, Cannibal Corpse, Origin:US, the only classic band to make the list. They have been around in the very late 80's and made their first album in 1990. They are one of three "pioneers" of death metal, along with Death and Morbid Angel. They have been getting worse though as time goes by though. They have redeimed themselves with Kill and Torture thankfully. Songs: Make Them Suffer, Hammer Smashed Face, Kill, Butchered at Birth, I Cum Blood, and Gutted.

Honorable Mentions: Archeon, Deicide, Nile, Pathology, Origin, Morbid Angel, The Black Dahlia Murder, The Agonist, Job For A Cowboy, Mors Principium Est, Trivium, as overrated as that is, Scar Symmetry, Kalmah, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, Washbuckle, Deeds Of Flesh, Gorod, Possessed, Onslaught, though they appear in Thrash Metal as well, and Amon Amarth, again overrated as heck.

Number 1, Children of Bodom, Origin:Finland, OMG, I will regret that soon, but who hasen't at least heard of this band. They are in the mainstream relm easy. They have appered everywhere, except the radio. But they came from the most Iconic record labels, Nuclear Blast Records. They have some of the greatest albums ever. Let's see, Follow The Reaper, Are You Dead Yet?, I'll be reviewing that soon, Blooddrunk and Halo Of Blood. Favorite songs? we'll get to that at the end as usual. What isn't to like about this band. I dare you to refute and say that this is the worst band on earth. I dare you, I double dare you Motherf***er! Songs: Are You Dead Yet?, Blooddrunk, Lobodomy, Transferance, Halo of Blood, Done With Everything Die For Nothing, In Your Face, Lake Bodom, Oops, I Did It Again, and Hate Crew Deathtoll.

The Death Metal scene is the most underground scene of all of metal. So I decided to compile a list of bands that people need to check out. These 10 or so bands truely show the meaning of Death Metal. Melodic Death Metal Metal being my favorite type of Death Metal. Long Live Metal, everyone. I am the guy you want if your looking for new bands.

on Oct. 20 2014 at 2:21 pm

Sorry guys I messed up on Arch Enemy, they come from Sweden not the Netherlands.