So Called Role Models | Teen Ink

So Called Role Models

April 4, 2014
By l7er01 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
l7er01 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Famous sensations these days seem to think that reality does not pertain to them. In their “world” reality means doing whatever they want and so called expressing themselves, means wearing inappropriate clothing or acting violently. It seems to me that stars now a days are leaning more toward the “cool” side of things instead of doing what is right. I think that if stars choose to become famous, they need to have some more specific rules they have to obey for a couple reasons. The first reason is to keep them under control. Celebrities seem to be getting into lots of drama these days. If they have these rules to abide by, they won’t have to worry about too much of that happening. The last, and most important, reason is so society and teenagers can have strong and responsible role models.

“We never really grow up. We only learn how to act in public.” states Bryan White. Apparently this quote doesn’t apply to Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, and Amanda Bynes who have recently shown acts of rebellion. According to Liz Smith from the Huffington Post, and I’m sure many others would agree, Miley Cyrus’s MTV’s Video Music Awards performance was not pleasing. From the inappropriate dance moves, to her revealing wardrobe choice, most people were not impressed. Justin Bieber has also shown uprisings during the past year. Mesfin Fekadu from the New York AP says that some headlines had suggested that Justin is showing signs of a similar Britney Spears meltdown. The only difference is, he is taking it to more of an extreme level by the rude acts he chooses to proceed with. From his violent acts with the paparazzi and his employees, to showing up late to his concert in London and getting booed by his fans, this stars career doesn't seem to be impressing many parents, and even his fans. ABC News Social Climber wrote an article on Amanda Bynes and her dramatic transformation from former star of “The Amanda Show” to now going to rehab. Not only these “hip” idols, but many idols, have set a bad example for their fans and young teenagers. I don’t think these teen sensations understand their major role in our society and culture.

During this day in age, the famous singers, movie stars, and athletes have grown more of an importance in today’s world. When people sign with a record deal, or get the role in a TV show, in my opinion they need to know what they are getting themselves into. Celebrities have the most influential role on young people. If they say something in their song, everyone will start saying it, it’s just how it works. If they don’t want to be a role model, then I would advise either they fly under the radar or they stay out of the eyes of young adults all around the world. Now a days with technology booming and tons of social media apps are being created, stars have to be especially careful of what they say and post. Celebrities need to know being famous is not their only job.

Celebrities need to start seeing what their real role is. Not only is their job to keep up with new movies and songs, but also it is to show us good characterism.They should be representing equality and respect, rather than getting into trouble. They need to learn how to act like us people in reality who have to abide by the rules. Making responsible choices isn’t that hard for us, but why is it to the celebrities? Once we show our famous idols that they have more than just a role in a TV show, I think we can slowly stop this generation from getting too out of hand.

“They have become the glue of our social fabric.” Deborah King, from deborahkingcenter, states regarding celebrities. To me, famous stars have the biggest effect on us teens and our attitudes than anyone else right now. Often times in the hallway I will hear fellow students saying, “the award show last night was awesome” do the singers think we don’t watch them? Or do they think it’s acceptable to dance and dress inappropriately in front of millions of teen eyes? Celebrities don’t live in their own world. Once they see that, this society has a great chance of turning around. Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, and Amanda Bynes are only a few of the teen sensations that have something to do with the sudden culture change.