Cast Away | Teen Ink

Cast Away

By JordanStott BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
JordanStott BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

Cast Away is about a Fed Ex manager named Chuck Woland, boyfriend of Kelly. A tragic accident occurs when Chuck decides to leave Kelly and the family to get on a plane for a work related emergency. Chuck planned to return before New Years but his plans were changed when the plane crashed into the ocean. Chuck was stuck on an abandoned island for four years until he was recued. While on the island, all he had to motivate himself to get off the island was a pocket watch that Kelly gave him with her picture inside. Once he had been on the island for four years he learned how to build a raft and sail into the ocean to get rescued. When he got off the island and returned back into civilization he realized how much things had changed since he left.

Chuck had a difficult time adapting to life in the island. Missing his basic needs such as food, water, shelter and warmth were daily challenges he faced. At first, Chuck was drinking out of coconuts and rain water off of leaves. His only shelter was a halfway popped life boat until he found a cave. Chuck eventually learned how to fish and make fire after several failed attempts. As time went by, he learned how to adapt to his environment and use his surroundings to his advantage.

Another issue Chuck faced while on the island was his ability to feel safe and secure. Chuck had limited medical care and nobody there to help him. At the beginning of the movie, his feet were getting all cut up because he was walking on the volcanic rocks without any protection on his feet. He finally saw the dead pilot floating in the water and brought him up to the shore and took his shoes and a flashlight before he buried him. As time went on, Chuck started to open the washed up packages to see if there was anything in them that could help him survive. He found ice skates and used the blades to cut things. He also used the tool of a dress to make a fishing net. However, Chuck had a high risk of infection because of the wounds all over his body. The only medical supplies he had was his clothes and the salt water. Chuck also had an issue with his tooth that would have killed him if he hadn’t have knocked it out with one of the ice skating blades.

He also had a difficult time realizing that there wasn’t anybody for him to socialize with. When he was opening up the washed up packages he found a volleyball. He was so desperate for love and companionship that use used his blood to draw a face onto the volleyball. He also put hair on it and named it Wilson. Chuck carried on conversations with the volleyball. Everywhere Chuck went, the volleyball went. And when Chuck thought he lost Wilson, he would have a panic attack. Yelling out his name and frantically looking for it until he found the volleyball. It may seem odd but Wilson was one of few things that kept him in touch with his humanity. When Chuck had lost Wilson, it seemed like he had given up on being rescued. Kelly was another thing that inspired Chuck to keep to keep his motivation to survive. “I’ll be right back” were the last words he said to her. Every night he would look at the picture of her and think about their lives together.

Chuck’s whole life was revolved around his job. At work, he was so use to being in control and when he was stranded on the island he could not control anything. He desperately yearned for a sense of control and respect again. At work he was always the one everybody looked up to and on the island he did not have anybody. He took pride in his accomplishments, so when he finally made fire on the island he was so proud of himself but could not share his success with anyone.

After being stranded on the island for four long years, Chuck was not only changed physically but mentally as well. After coming home to Kelly, and seeing how she had moved on, gotten married, and had a child devastated Chuck. Not only not being able to control anything on the island, Chuck could not control how Kelly had a new life once he returned home. Chuck can not be self-actualized because he has to build a whole new life again and figure out what he wants in life.

Cast Away was a phenomenal movie. The film is gut-wrenching and heartwarming. It pulled me in and every time he faced a different struggle it made sad and I wanted to help him. The ending was very unpredictable and I wished it would have ended differently. It just stopped and did not even finish the story. I would watch this movie over and over again. I loved it.