American Assassin Review | Teen Ink

American Assassin Review

From the most perfect proposal in Ibiza to a possible global war, American Assassin stars Michael Keaton and Dylan O’Brien working with the CIA black ops to investigate and eliminate terrorist attacks. The film is filled with espionage, terrorism, and revenge. It is also packed with high-stake scenarios that include gunfire, hand-to-hand combat, explosions, torture, and adrenaline-pumping chases.

Five seconds after the newly proposed engagement, Mitch’s soon-to-be wife gets shot dead before his eyes. From then on, Mitch’s unimaginable motive to assassinate terrorists is put into action. He joins the CIA black ops and works under a Cold War veteran who further trains him to be unstoppable. After completing missions with their team, Mitch suspects the truth about one of their team members, a Turkish agent with Iranian connections and a CIA spy. However, in order to stop the threat of a global war, they join teams to save the detonation of a rogue nuclear weapon. 

While American Assassin offers plenty of thrills and excitement, it also dives into deeper themes such as redemption, loyalty, and the personal cost of pursuing justice. The dynamic between Mitch and Hurley (Cold War Veteran) adds depth to the story, as they take on the dangerous world.

This thriller left me with a wow factor that forced me to share with my friends and family. The combination with the intense plot and 180 degree shift of the tone, had me wanting more. The action in the ending of the movie was unpredictable, however, the sense that Mitch was able to successfully detonate the nuclear bomb, was pretty predictable. I loved the action, the characters, the plot, the setting, and the whole message of the film.

All in all, this movie is a must-watch for anyone looking for an action-packed thriller!

This piece felt personal to me